Pontus is specialized in arbitration and civil litigation and is head of Hannes Snellman’s Dispute resolution team in Stockholm. Pontus has substantial experience in international and domestic arbitration under the SCC, ICC, ICSID, LCIA, UNCITRAL rules and ad hoc proceedings as well as court proceedings in Sweden. Pontus' experience as counsel encompassing a wide range of areas such as supply, share and asset purchases, construction and real estate, finance, energy, investor-state disputes, agency and distribution, professional and product liability, regulatory issues and insurance.
Pontus is also appointed as arbitrator on a regular basis.
I have worked with Pontus Ewerlöf in arbitration matters. He is a tenacious and active lawyer who is always available.
Dispute Resolution | Legal 500, 2020
Counsel for an EU member state in challenging investment arbitral proceedings under the ECT.
Counsel for the Republic of Kazakhstan in challenging investment arbitral proceedings under the ECT.
Counsel for a global crane manufacturer in a product liability claim.
Counsel for a global gas and engineering group in several arbitration proceedings under the SCC rules as well as ad hoc proceedings concerning construction and gas supply.
Counsel for a listed real estate company in several construction and tenant disputes.
Counsel for a global manufacturer of industrial couplings in a IT-related dispute.
Counsel for an Italian manufacturer of products for the oil industry in arbitral proceedings against a Russian purchaser.
Counsel for a global listed company in arbitral proceedings regarding IT-systems.
Counsel for a Nordic IT-provider in arbitral proceedings against a global listed company.
Counsel for a Swedish fund management company in complex proceedings against a global bank.
Counsel for Swedish investors in a high value board liability claim in domestic courts, which proceedings involves complex company valuation matters.
Counsel for several real estate owners in disputes against a Swedish authority regarding public procurement.
- Ranked as Future Leader, Who’s Who Legal Arbitration (Sweden), 2021
- "Pontus Ewerlöf brings expertise in international head-of-state matters including high-value setting-aside and invalidation proceedings", Construction, Legal 500, 2020
- "I have worked with Pontus Ewerlöf in arbitration matters. He is a tenacious and active lawyer who is always available.", Dispute Resolution, Legal 500, 2020
- Pontus Ewerlöf is "a top practitioner" in arbitration, and ranks as "a great lawyer who really deserves to be on the list" according to impressed peers. Who's Who Legal Arbitration, 2020
- Ranked as National Leader, Who's Who Legal Arbitration, 2020
- Chambers and Partners (Global) ranking 2018
- Chambers and Partners (Global) ranking 2017
- Chambers and Partners (Global) ranking 2016
- Chambers and Partners (Global) ranking 2015
- Chambers and Partners (Global) ranking 2014
- Chambers and Partners (Europe) ranking 2013
Memberships and Positions of Trust
- Member of the LCIA European Users’ Council
- Member of the Swedish Bar Association, 2004
- Member of the Swedish Arbitration Association (SAA)
- Member of the International Bar Association (IBA)
- Member of the International Council for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA)
- Member of ICC’s Arbitration Commission (Sweden)
- Lecturer at the Civil procedure program, Stockholm University
- The ICLG to: Investor-State Arbitration, 2020
- The ICLG to: Investor-State Arbitration, 2019
- The International Arbitration Review, Ninth ed. (Swedish Chapter), 2018
- The International Arbitration Review, Eight ed. (Swedish Chapter), 2017
- Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards; The Interpretation and Application of the New York Convention by National Courts (George A. Bermann, editor), 2017
- Report of the IBA Subcommittee on Recognition and Enforcement of Arbitral Awards (Study on Arbitrability) – Swedish report, 2016
- Report of the IBA Subcommittee on Recognition and Enforcement of Arbitral Awards - Swedish report, 2015
- Interim Measures v. the New York Convention – has time come to refresh the application of the New York Convention? in Young Arbitration Review, Ed. 16, January 2015
- Application of the New York Convention by Swedish Courts in Franke, Magnusson, Ragnwaldh, Wallin (eds.) International Arbitration in Sweden, A Practitioner’s Guide, Wolters Kluwer, 2013
- Class Actions and Arbitrations in Sweden in Billiet (ed.) Class Arbitration in the European Union, MAKLU, 2013
- Den bortglömda delen av EMR reformen, Infotorg juridik, 2012
- Commercial Litigation, Jurisdictional comparison (Swedish Chapter) in Horrocks (ed.), 2011
Education and Professional Background
- Partner, Hannes Snellman, Stockholm, 2019
- Partner, Head of Dispute Resolution, MAQS, 2012-2018
- Senior Associate, Cederquist, 2010-2012
- Senior Associate, Mannheimer Swartling, 2004-2010
- Associate, Cederquist, 2002-2004
- Associate Judge, Svea Court of Appeal, 2001-2002
- Assistant Judge, Solna District Court, 2000-2001
- Assistant Judge, Svea Court of Appeal, 1999-2000
- Trained on the Bench, District Court of Linköping, 1996-1998
- Inhouse Lawyer, Trygg-Hansa Försäkrings AB (Insurance), 1995-1996
- Further professional training, SCC/SAA arbitration training course, 2010
- Master of Laws, Stockholm University, 1995
Education and Professional Background
- Speaker/moderator, The Legal 500 Nordics Disputes Summit: Stockholm, Sweden, 12 November 2019
Speaker, DIS Baltic Arbitration Days: Riga, Latvia, 14 June 2019
Speaker, SAA/SCC conference, Stockholm, Sweden, 20 May 2019