Matti practises arbitration and litigation in the Dispute Resolution group. Matti has particular experience in construction, engineering, industrial and project delivery disputes.
In addition to negotiating settlements and advocating cases in front of arbitral tribunals and state courts, Matti also has experience in dispute avoidance, such as in training clients or in drafting agreement templates that seek to prevent future disputes.
To add to experience gained at Hannes Snellman, Matti draws from his previous career as a journalist in leading Finnish news organisations, where he specialised in politics and business.
Represented the client against a contractor in an arbitration over an industrial installation agreement.
Represents a contractor in a litigation over the termination of two construction agreements concerning significant sites.
Represented a contractor in a multi-million euro ICC arbitration over an EPC project delivery agreement in the energy sector.
Represented a Finnish construction company in an arbitration over a renovation project in central Helsinki.
Represented the customer in a dispute over the interpretation of an energy supply agreement.
Represented the buyer in landmark merger control proceedings.
Represented the client against contractors in a high-value dispute over a renovation project in central Helsinki.
Represented a large Finnish city in court proceedings over damages claims relating to water quality.
Represented consultants in two different arbitrations concerning power plant disputes.
Defended a multimillion arbitral award against a set aside claim in Finnish courts.
Represented the client against contractors in a dispute over the renovation of a water treatment facility.
Represented an international industrial company in an arbitration over the interpretation of a supply agreement.
Represented a Finnish construction company in litigation against a consultant over a major construction project.
Defended a board member of a foundation from damages claims made in Finnish courts against several individuals, co-ordinating the work of counsel representing the different respondents.
Represented the buyer in an arbitration over breaches of the seller’s warranties in the acquisition of a major Finnish company.
- Getting the Deal Through: Arbitration, Finland Chapter together with Lehto, Rautiainen, Tamminen, 2020
- Getting the Deal Through: Arbitration, Finland Chapter together with Järvinen, Tamminen and Lehto, 2019
Education and Professional Background
- Managing Associate, Hannes Snellman, 2022
- Senior Associate, Hannes Snellman, 2019
- Associate, Hannes Snellman, 2015
- Master of Laws, University of Helsinki, 2015
- Associate Trainee, Hannes Snellman, 2014 – 2015
- Bachelor of Arts (journalism), University of Jyväskylä, 2013
- Journalist, Helsingin Sanomat, 2011 & 2012 – 2014
- Journalist, Yle Uutiset, 2007 – 2010 & 2011 – 2012