Markus focuses on compliance, M&A and company law related cases, as well as general commercial dispute resolution.
Markus advises clients in their internal and external compliance investigations and enforcement proceedings. He represents clients in M&A disputes relating to purchase price adjustments, damages claims, and share redemptions. In the field of general commercial disputes, Markus has litigated and arbitrated cases relating to e.g. international trade, insurance contracts, lease agreements, and employment contracts. He has extensive experience on injunction proceedings.
Markus regularly represents Finnish and foreign corporations in both domestic and international ad hoc arbitrations, as well as in arbitrations administered by various institutional rules (including FAI, ICC, SCAI, and SIAC). In addition, Markus frequently serves as an arbitrator in both ad hoc and administered arbitration proceedings. He is repeatedly ranked in the Best Lawyers® list for Finland (Arbitration and Mediation, Litigation and Sports Law).
Markus has unparalleled experience in the field of sports law. He has advised foreign and Finnish top level sports clubs in cases relating to sponsorship, player, coach, and stadium agreements. Furthermore, he has represented a leading stadium company and a major sports gear company in different sports-related disputes. Apart from being a versatile lecturer on sports law related topics, Markus has published several articles on the subject. In addition, he serves as a CAS arbitrator.
He stands out because of 1) his in-depth knowledge and experience, 2) true customer orientation, 3) ability to create trust and confidence, 4) ability in creating various options for strategy and tactics for the case and making them understandable for us. I am impressed.
Dispute Resolution | Legal 500, 2021
Advised a large Finnish company in a high-profile external compliance investigation relating to alleged misappropriation of funds.
Represented a Finnish listed company in external compliance investigations relating to stock exchange releases. The investigation did not lead to disciplinary actions.
Advised a Finnish listed company in internal and external compliance investigations and related multi-million insurance and criminal proceedings.
Represented a Finnish company against its former shareholders in an earn-out dispute before an independent expert. The value of the claims amounted to EUR 3 million.
Represented a Finnish corporation against an Italian subcontractor in a litigation concerning breach of contract and defective goods.
Represented major Finnish insurance companies against a government organisation in a domestic arbitration concerning the interpretation of a shareholders’ agreement. The value of the dispute exceeded EUR 2 million.
Represented a Finnish corporation in squeeze-out proceedings against the minority shareholders of another listed company. The redeemed shares were valued at EUR 3 million.
Represented a Finnish listed company against a Latin American counterparty in a multi-million euro dispute over the termination of a distribution agreement and unlawful use of our client’s intellectual property rights. Apart from the main arbitral proceedings seated in Helsinki, the case involved convoluted injunction and criminal proceedings before Brazilian state courts.
Represented a Finnish investment company against another investment company in an arbitration based on the Finnish Limited Liability Companies Act. The value of the dispute exceeded EUR 17 million.
President of the panel, sole arbitrator, or a co-arbitrator in more than 40 arbitrations.
- Ranked Among the World’s Leading Sports Lawyers in Who’s Who Legal: Sports & Gaming, 2022 Edition
- 'Markus Manninen stands out because of 1) his in-depth knowledge and experience, 2) true customer orientation, 3) ability to create trust and confidence, 4) ability in creating various options for strategy and tactics for the case and making them understandable for us. I am impressed.', Dispute Resolution, Legal 500, 2021
- Ranked as one of the Thought Leaders in the Who's Who Legal – Sports 2021 edition
- 'Markus Manninen is an outstanding arbitrator.', Dispute Resolution, Legal 500, 2020
- Ranked among the best lawyers in the 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017 editions (Helsinki: Arbitration and Mediation, Litigation and Sports Law) of Best Lawyers®
- Listed among the World’s Leading Sports Lawyers (Finland) in Who’s Who Legal Sports and Entertainment: Sport 2018, 2019 and 2020
Memberships and Positions of Trust
- Member of the Delegation of the Finnish Bar Association
- Member of the Finnish Bar Association
- Member of the Finnish Arbitration Association
- Chairman of the Disciplinary Committee of the Football Association of Finland
- Chairman of Finnish Center for Integrity in Sports FINCIS’s Anti-doping Supervisory Board (2015-2020)
- Vice-chairman of the Disciplinary Board of the Finnish Bar Association (2014-2018)
- Member of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), Lausanne, Switzerland
- Member of the IRONMAN Arbitration Panel (2016-2021)
- Member of the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s (UFC) Arbitration Panel (2016-2021)
- New ethical and disciplinary rules by the Finnish Olympic Committee, Sports Law & Taxation Vol.11 No.4 December 2020 (co-author)
- Co-author of the Finnish Chapter in the Global Practice Guide: Litigation 2020 by Chambers & Partners
- Doping: Legal challenges posed by low concentration of a non-threshold substance (Global Sports Law and Taxation Reports, 2018)
- Doping: Proof of source – a prerequisite for an unintentional anti-doping rule violation? (Global Sports Law and Taxation Reports, 2018)
- “Unless Fairness Requires Otherwise”- A Review of Exceptions to Retroactive Disqualification of Competitive Results for Doping Offenses (CAS Bulletin, 2017)
- “Lex mitior”: reduction in the period of ineligibility under art. 25.3 of the World Anti-Doping Code (Global Sports Law and Taxation Reports, 2016)
- Re-analysis of a doping sample - delay not attributable to the athlete? (Global Sports Law and Taxation Reports, 2015)
- Key case law on attempts to circumvent FIFA’s Training Compensation System (LawInSport, 2014)
- Anti-Doping Code 2015 - Stricter Sanctions and Investigations (2014)
- The evolution of hGH cases: Veerpalu, Lallukka and Sinkewitz (Global Sports Law and Taxation Reports, 2014)
- Retroactive Disqualification of Competitive Results for Doping Offences (2013)
- Second Anti-Doping Rule Violation (2012)
- The Finnish Match Fixing Scandal (Global Sports Law and Taxation Reports, 2012)
- Refusal and Other Evasion of Doping Test (2011)
- FINADA Supervisory Board and its Decisions 2009-2010 (2010)
Education and Professional Background
- Partner, Hannes Snellman, 2020
- Specialist Partner, Hannes Snellman, 2018
- Licentiate in Laws, University of Helsinki, 2014
- Counsel, Hannes Snellman, 2012
- Senior Associate, Hannes Snellman, 2007
- Master of Economic Sciences, Helsinki School of Economics, 2005
- Trained on the Bench, District Court of Loviisa, 2005
- Associate Lawyer, Hannes Snellman, 2003
- Master of Laws, University of Helsinki, 2003