For the past decade, Mikko has primarily worked with matters pertaining to insolvency law. Mikko has experience in insolvency proceedings from the estate administrator’s and restructuring administrator’s perspective, in addition to which he is also experienced in advising creditors, financiers, and other parties in complex insolvency-related issues and handling insolvency-related disputes. Moreover, he has experience in matters pertaining to financing, company law, M&A, and contract law, as well as misconduct investigations. Some of Mikko’s particular interests include corporate restructurings, recovery/clawback, and property law.
Mikko has been a member of the Finnish Bar Association since 2017. Before joining Hannes Snellman, Mikko worked at another leading law firm for more than seven years, where he participated in a number of major bankruptcy and restructuring cases, some of which rank among the largest in Finland.
The German State (Buyer), Fortum Oyj (Seller), Uniper SE (Target)
Fortum Oyj’s arrangements related to stabilisation of its German subsidiary Uniper SE. The package will ensure multi-billion funding for Uniper, sale of Fortum’s shareholding in Uniper to the German State for approximately EUR 0.5 billion as well as repayment of Fortum’s EUR 4 billion receivables from Uniper and release of EUR 4 billion parent company guarantees.
Approx. EUR 4.5 billion
Finnish counsel to Fortum Oyj
Counsel to a significant Finnish company as an investigator in an internal investigation regarding substantial financial misconduct and alleged derelictions. The monetary value at stake amounted to millions of euro. The investigation involved AI assisted review of thousands of documents and a number of interviews.
The State of Finland, Finnair Plc
Counsel to the State of Finland in the hybrid loan arrangement with Finnair Plc
Up to EUR 400 million
Counsel to the State of Finland (Prime Minister’s Office)
Counsel to Mash Group Oyj’s interim supervisor.
Memberships and Positions of Trust
- Member of the Finnish Bar Association
- Member of the Insolvency Law Expert Panel of the Finnish Bar Association, 2022-
Education and Professional Background
- Counsel, Hannes Snellman, 2023-
- Senior Associate, Hannes Snellman, 2020
- Senior Associate, Krogerus Attorneys Ltd, 2017-2020
- Associate, Krogerus Attorneys Ltd, 2013-2017
- Master of Laws, University of Helsinki, 2013
- Legal Trainee, Krogerus Attorneys Ltd, 2013
- Legal Trainee, Asianajotoimisto Tuomaala & Co Oy, 2012
- Lecturer (English and German), Satakunta University of Applied Sciences, 2009-2011
- Bachelor of Business Administration, Satakunta University of Applied Sciences, 2010
- Master of Arts, English Translation, University of Tampere, 2008