Maria Wasastjerna has extensive experience in competition law and regulatory matters. She advises Finnish and international companies on all aspects of competition law, specialising in regulatory legal and compliance matters, as well as in competition litigation and M&A transactions. Prior to joining Hannes Snellman, Maria gained several years of experience as an in-house lawyer in global corporations, most recently as lead counsel for global competition law and policy at Nokia Corporation. Maria also has working experience from the European Commission, the US Federal Trade Commission in Washington, DC, and from a technology start up.
Maria has a PhD from the University of Helsinki. Based on her doctorate, she has published a timely book on competition, data, and privacy in the digital economy with Kluwer Law International. Maria regularly lectures on competition, compliance, and technology-related topics. She is a qualified attorney in Finland and the State of New York (US) and holds LL.M. degrees from the College of Europe and Georgetown Law School.
Maria can identify the essential and solve problems with a very strong business mindset. In addition, she is extremely nice to work with.
EU & Competition | Legal 500, 2020
Esperi Care (target), Danske Bank, SEB, and Ilmarinen (majority owners), Triton (buyer)
Counsel to Esperi Care and its majority owners Danske Bank, SEB, and Ilmarinen in the acquisition of the majority of Esperi Care’s shares by Triton Smaller Mid Cap Fund II advised by Triton.
Value not public.
Counsel to Esperi Care and its majority owners
Ahlström Capital BV and Nidoco AB (buyers), Ahlstrom-Munksjö (seller), Decor Solutions business area (target)
The buying consortium comprising Ahlström Capital BV and Nidoco AB, in the investment in the majority share of Ahlstrom-Munksjö’s Decor Solutions business area.
Value not public
Counsel to the buying consortium (Ahlström Capital BV and Nidoco AB)
PPG Industries, Inc. (Bidder), Tikkurila Oyj (Target)
Recommended public cash tender offer for all of the shares in Tikkurila by PPG Industries, Inc.
EUR 1.5 billion
Counsel to Tikkurila Oyj
Valmet Corporation, Alfa Laval AB, Neles Corporation
Counsel to Valmet Corporation in the EUR 1.73 bn public tender offer dated 13 July 2020 by Alfa Laval AB for all shares in Neles Corporation and the subsequent increase by Valmet of its shareholding in Neles to 29.5 %. Alfa Laval decided not to complete its offer on 3 November 2020.
EUR 1.73 billion
Counsel to Valmet Corporation
Counsel to Altia in competition law risk assessment and compliance review.
Cargotec Corporation, Konecranes Plc
Merger of Cargotec Corporation and Konecranes Plc
Approx. EUR 2.7 billion
Counsel to Konecranes Plc
Counsel to Nordea Life in a competition law compliance matter.
Ahlstrom-Munksjö Oyj (target), a consortium consisting of Ahlström Capital, Bain Capital Private Equity, Viknum and Belgrano Inversiones (buyer)
Recommended public cash tender offer for all shares in Ahlstrom-Munksjö Oyj by Spa Holdings 3 Oy
Approximately EUR 2.1 billion
Counsel to the consortium
Counsel to CBRE in competition and compliance related matters.
Valmet Oyj (Buyer), Solidium Oyj (Seller)
Counsel to Valmet Oyj in the acquisition of future Neles Corporation from Solidium Oy, representing 14.88% of all Neles’ shares and votes.
EUR 179 million
Counsel to Valmet Oyj
Comprehensive advice on the state aid law for the Prime Minister’s Office concerning the recapitalisation (rights offering) of the state-controlled airline Finnair Plc, including advise on the notification procedure before the European Commission. The rights offering of 500 MEUR is one of the largest rights offerings in Finland in recent years. The Commission’s decision in the case lead to amendments to the COVID-19 related State Aid Temporary Framework.
Series of compliance trainings for Nordea in the area of competition law and compliance.
Outotec Oyj, Metso Corporation
The combination of Outotec and Metso Minerals through a demerger
EUR 3.9 billion (illustrative combined sales)
Counsel to Outotec Oyj
- "The up-and-coming Maria Wasastjerna enters the rankings due to outstanding market recognition, with one client describing her as 'very talented.', Competition/European Law, Chambers Europe 2022
- "Maria Wasastjerna is amazing both as a person and as a competition law adviser." EU and Competition, Legal 500, 2021
- 'Maria Wasastjerna has a unique combination of academic knowledge with extensive global practical experience from a multinational. Maria can identify the essential and solve problems with a very strong business mindset. In addition, she is extremely nice to work with.', EU and Competition, Legal 500, 2020
- Elected as one of the ’30 in their 30s’ Notable Women in Competition in Europe, 2017
Memberships and Positions of Trust
- Member of the Finnish Bar Association’s Professional Committee
- UN Women Finland, Senior Advisor
- European Competition Lawyers Forum (ECLF)
- In House Competition Lawyers’ Association (ICLA)
- Member of the New York Bar
- Member of the Finnish Bar Association
- Member of the Board of FIDE Finland
- Yritysvastuu & oikeus, Kauppakamari 2022 (co-author)
- Tasa-arvo ja kilpailuoikeus, Finnish Competition Law Yearbook 2020 (co-author)
- Sustainability and competition: Unlocking the potential, Concurrences 4/2020 (co-author)
- Vastuullisuus osana tehokkuuspuolustusta EU:n kilpailuoikeudessa, Defensor Legis 4/2020 (co-author)
- Competition, data and privacy in the digital economy, Wolters Kluwer International 2020
- Lectio Praecursoria, Juridiska Föreningen i Finland JFT 6/2019
- Blurred Lines: The German Facebook case, Finnish Competition Law Yearbook 2019
- The Controversial Competition-Data Protection Interface, European Business Law Review 30/2019
- The role of big data and privacy in merger review, European Competition Journal 14/2018
- Konkurrensrätt, data och integritetsskydd, Juridiska Föreningen i Finland JFT 5/2018
- Parental liability in EU competition law, International In-House Counsel Journal 8/2015
- Interlocking directorates in EU competition law, Europarättslig Tidskrift 4/2012
- Vähemmistöomistusten kilpailuoikeudellisesta merkityksestä, Defensor Legis 3/2012 (co-authored)
- Antitrust review of intellectual property in the US and the EU, ICC Global Antitrust Review 2011
- Predatory pricing in antitrust enforcement, ABA Antitrust Law Section Pricing Newsletter Fall 2011
- Yhdenmukaistettu menettelytapa ja tietojenvaihto, Defensor Legis 4/2009 (co-author)
Education and Professional Background
- Partner, Hannes Snellman, 2019-present
- Lead Counsel Competition Law / Senior Legal Counsel, Nokia Corporation, 2014−2019
- Head of Legal, Kiosked Ltd, 2013–2014
- Secondee Lawyer, Nokia Corporation, 2013
- Secondee Lawyer, GE Healthcare, 2012
- Senior Associate / Associate, Roschier Attorneys, 2008–2013
- International Trainee, U.S. Federal Trade Commission, Washington D.C., 2011
- Stagiaire, European Commission, Brussels, 2008
- Stagiaire, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton, Brussels, 2007
- LL.D., University of Helsinki, 2019
- Visiting Academic, University of Oxford, 2018
- LL.M., Fulbright scholar, Georgetown Law School, 2011
- LL.M., College of Europe, Belgium, 2008
- Master of Laws, University of Helsinki, 2006
Recent Speaking Engagements
- Digital Markets Act and platform regulation, IPR University Center, March 2021
- Sustainability and competition, Competition Law Nordic Conference, Stockholm, March 2021
- Governance and set-up of the Ethics & Compliance function, Nordic Business Ethics Event, September 2021
- Alustatalous: uudet oikeudelliset haasteet, University of Helsinki, October 2021
- EU:n digimarkkinasäädös ja kilpailukykyinen datatalous, KKV-päivä, November 2021
- Bör uppfattningen om konsumentvälfärd moderniseras i den digitala konkurrensrätten?, Juridiska Föreningen r.f. Annual General Meeting, December 2020
- Competition in the Digital Economy, University of Stockholm, November 2020
- Chair of Focus Day at Advanced EU Competition Law Brussels Conference, November 2020
- Kilpailuoikeus digitaalitaloudessa, Aalto University School of Business, November 2020
- Competition Challenges on Digital Markets, Alma Talent Competition Law Seminar, October 2020
- Proposal for New Competition Tool, Big Data & Competition Law Conference, Brussels, October 2020
- The German Facebook case and beyond, Annual Conference on EU Data Protection Law, June 2020
- The interlink between privacy and competition, Ascola Nordic Webinar, June 2020
- Kilpailuoikeus – mitä tulee ottaa huomioon?, Technology Finland Data Seminar, March 2020
- Digital competition, Competition Law Nordic Conference, Stockholm, Jan 2020
- Sustainability and competition, FIDE Finland Seminar, Helsinki, Jan 2020
- Competition law, technology and IPRs, University of Helsinki Faculty of Law, Jan 2020