Meri-Katriina Pyhäranta has extensive understanding of the energy market through several years of work experience in the energy field. She has actively participated in different energy working groups and in the future energy strategy and policy work that has been carried out at EU level. She advises Finnish and international companies on all aspects of energy regulation and has wide experience in cooperating and negotiating with different interest groups in the energy field, including producers, traders, system operators, investors, governmental institutions, and landowners. Prior to joining Hannes Snellman, Meri-Katriina worked at the Energy Authority, where she was responsible of monitoring market behaviour in the Finnish natural gas market from the regulatory point of view and contributed to developing and decarbonising the energy market both nationally and at EU level.
Meri-Katriina holds a PhD in energy law from the University of Eastern Finland. She has been a visiting scholar at top US universities in the field of energy law and policy and has published articles in the field of energy law in internationally recognised academic journals.
- ASLA-Fulbright Scholarship, 2016–2017
- State ownership of petroleum resources: an obstacle to shale gas development in the UK?
Journal of World Energy Law and Business, June 2017
- Reforms in UK shale gas regulation: better prospects for investors? 25 (2) European Energy and Environmental Law Review, 2016
- EU:n energiatehokkuussääntely – Viimeaikaisia kehityslinjoja ja täytäntöönpano Suomessa, Defensor Legis 2/2016
Education and Professional Background
- Counsel, Hannes Snellman, 2021–
- Doctor of Laws, University of Eastern Finland, 2020
- Energy Authority, 2017–2020
- University of Eastern Finland, 2014–2017
- LL.M. in European and International Energy Law and Policy, University of Eastern Finland, 2013
- Krogerus Attorneys, 2013–2014
- Ernst & Young, 2011–2012
- Master of Laws, University of Helsinki, 2011