PRACTICE AND EXPERIENCE
Tapio heads our Real Estate practice in Helsinki. In addition, he plays an important role in Hannes Snellman’s Infrastructure & Energy practice, which is a multi-disciplinary group of experienced lawyers whose expertise cuts across capital markets, real estate, construction, environment, litigation, PPP, project finance, restructuring and tax.
Tapio has extensive experience of complex real estate transactions, development projects, as well as sale and leaseback arrangements. Tapio works with a wide range of clients, including numerous institutional investors, multinational and Nordic industrials and real estate developers. Apart from the substantial experience of the real estate sector, Tapio also has solid energy sector expertise, especially within wind power and hydro power.
Counsel to DWS in its acquisition of a residential portfolio comprising 542 apartments from Lehto Group plc, 2019.
Counsel to Schroder Nordic Real Estate Fund in its acquisition of 11,230m² office building in Helsinki from Genesta.
Counsel to a fund managed by Patrizia Immobilien AG in its divestment of an office building in Helsinki for EUR 41 million to Special Investment Fund eQ Finnish Real Estate.
Counsel to Metsähallitus in its divestment of a pre-construction stage wind power project to OX2.
Counsel to YIT Corporation in its disposal of the Tripla’s Workery offices, being built in Pasila, Helsinki, as a whole to an international investor.
Counsel to Wereldhave N.V. in its divestment of the Itis shopping centre to a fund advised by Morgan Stanley Real Estate Investing (MSREI).
Counsel to Kildare Partners in its public tender offer for Technopolis Plc, a Finland-based listed company providing offices, coworking spaces and related services, 2018. The transaction is valued at approximately EUR 730 million.
Counsel to Deutsche Asset & Wealth Management in an acquisition of a prime logistics facility in Aviapolis.
Counsel to Areim Fund III in an acquisition of a portfolio of eight office properties from Avant Capital Partners, Varma Mutual Pension Insurance Company and EPISO 4 fund advised by Tristan Capital Partners.
Counsel to Skandia Fastigheter in its divestment of a 14,400 sqm of office property in Helsinki to Castellum.
Counsel to IVG Polar Oy in the divestment of an office portfolio with a lettable space of 132,000m² to Goldman Sachs and Cromwell Property Group.
Counsel to Metsähallitus in its divestment of two pre-construction stage wind power projects with an aggregate output of approximately 300 megawatts, respectively, to Enefit Green, and to a JV of Ilmatar Windpower Oyj and Omnes Capital managed Capenergie 3.
Counsel to Kojamo plc in its disposal of 1,594 non-restricted rental apartments to a fund managed by Morgan Stanley Real Estate Investing.
Counsel to a fund managed by J.P. Morgan Asset Management in its disposal of a 66,680 sqm logistics property in Espoo to a fund managed by Genesta.
Counsel to TRIUVA Kapitalverwaltungsgesellschaft, acting on behalf of an institutional investor, in the acquisition of a core mixed use building on Kanavaranta 3-7.
Counsel to a fund managed by Deutsche Asset & Wealth Management in its acquisition of a landmark headquarter property and a parking facility located in Keilaniemi, Espoo from a fund managed by Exilion Capital Oy.
Counsel to Schroder (acting on behalf of Schroder Nordic Real Estate Fund) in an acquisition of a portfolio of nine office properties located in the Greater Helsinki area.
Counsel to a fund managed by Barings Real Estate Advisers in its acquisition of an office-to-hotel conversion project from the Confederation of Finnish Construction Industries RT.
Counsel to Skandia Fastigheter in its acquisition of 14,400 sqm of office property in Helsinki from TRIUVA.
Counsel to a J.P. Morgan Asset Management fund in its disposal of four office properties to Alma Property Partners I AB in the Keilaniemi business district of Espoo, Finland.
Counsel to a fund managed by Barings Real Estate Advisers in its acquisition of Entresse shopping mall from CapMan.
Counsel to a fund managed by J.P. Morgan Asset Management in its disposal of a 11,200 sqm office property in Helsinki to a fund managed by Genesta.
Counsel to VVO Group plc. in its disposal of 1,344 non-restricted rental apartments to a company managed by Avant Capital Partners.
Counsel to Eurus Energy Holdings Corporation in its acquisition of two wind farms in Finland from Maas Capital Renewables and YARD ENERGY.
Counsel to a fund managed by PATRIZIA Immobilien AG in the acquisition of a 9,000 sqm office property from Fennia Life Insurance Company Ltd.
Counsel to Avant Capital Partners and Alma Property Partners I AB, a fund managed by Alma Property Partners, in their acquisition of the Ideapark Oulu shopping centre from Sukari Group.
Counsel to YIT Corporation in its disposal of Tripla hotel with an aggregate value of approx. EUR 88 million. The hotel will be operated by Sokotel Oy, and the investor will be a new limited partnership managed by Exilion Management Oy with Elo Mutual Pension Insurance Company, Veritas Pension Insurance Company and the State Pension Fund of Finland (VER) as owners.
Counsel to Metsähallitus in its divestment of wind farm project to Taaleri Plc private equity fund and Loiste Energia Oy.
Counsel to YIT Corporation in a joint venture with Etera, Onvest and Fennia for the implementation of the Mall of Tripla and its parking facilities. The overall value of the shopping mall and the parking facility is approximately EUR 600 million.
- Counsel to Redito AB in its acquisition of a retail portfolio from Sagax with an underlying property value of approx. EUR 50 million.
- Counsel to Veolia in a JV with Neste and Borealis to build a new combined heat and power plant and produce and supply steam and other utilities to Neste's refinery and Borealis' petrochemical plant in Porvoo, Finland.
- Counsel to Niam in its acquisition of a portfolio of six modern office properties located within the Helsinki Metropolitan Area from Elo Mutual Pension Insurance Company.
- Counsel to Deutsche Asset & Wealth Management, acting on behalf of the German open ended real estate fund “grundbesitz europa”, in its acquisition of a prime office property located in Leppävaara, Espoo with an underlying property value of approx. EUR 70 million from Veritas Pension Insurance Company Ltd.
- Counsel to Ilmarinen and AMF in JV between Kesko, Ilmarinen and AMF concerning the sale and leaseback of a portfolio of 40 retail properties in Sweden and Finland. The transaction is the largest ever completed sale and leaseback transaction in Finland, value EUR 652 million.
- Counsel to eQ Finnish Real Estate in its acquisition of two properties from VR Pension Fund and Etera Mutual Pension Insurance, value EUR 23 million.
- Counsel to Metsähallitus in its divestment of two pre-construction stage wind power projects (envisaged to comprise a total of 64 wind power plants with an aggregate output of approximately 166 megawatts) to a JV owned by Taaleritehtaan Tuulitehdas II Ky and Loiste Energia Oy.
- Counsel to AXA Real Estate in its acquisition of a prime CBD office property with an underlying property value of approx. EUR 65 million from a fund managed by Exilion Capital Oy, value approx. EUR 65 million
- Counsel to YIT Corporation in its divestment of Tikkurila Commercial Centre Dixi to NREP Nordic Strategies Fund, value not public.
- Counsel to Baltic Property Group (NBP) in its acquisition and financing of two office properties with an aggregate area of approx. 15,000 sqm in Helsinki and Lahti from RBS Nordisk Renting, value not public.
- Counsel to Redito in its acquisition and financing of a portfolio of 68 retail properties from Sveafastigheter, value EUR 124 million.
- Counsel to APG Asset Management N.V. in its investment in SATO. Varma Mutual Pension Insurance Company sold half of its shares in SATO to APG, making APG the second largest shareholder in SATO. Following the transaction, Varma's shareholding in SATO is now around 22.8%, value not public.
- Counsel to Fortum in its divestment of the Tohkoja pre-construction stage wind power project to wpd europe GmbH.
Leading individual, Real estate and construction, Legal 500, 2019
- The "outstanding" Tapio Teräkivi is regarded as a leading lawyer in the real estate sector. Sources praise his "good knowledge of the market and the law," and describe him as "very skilled in transactions.", Real Estate, Chambers Europe 2019
- 'He stands out to clients as a "knowledgeable" practitioner who "works very effectively and reverts swiftly." ', Real Estate, Chambers Europe 2018
- Ranked as a Notable practitioner in the 2018 and 2019 edition (Finland: M&A) of IFLR1000
- "He is extremely effective at providing support on negotiations. He also has a very good understanding of market practice", Real Estate, Chambers Europe 2017
- 'Sources say: "Tapio has broad experience in property transactions and development projects, and is a tough negotiator." ', Real Estate, Chambers Europe 2016
- Leading individual, Real estate and construction, Legal 500, 2016, 2017 and 2018
- 'Practice head Tapio Teräkivi is highly recommended.', Legal 500, 2016
- 'The "excellent and goal-driven" Tapio Teräkivi is the team's most prominent practitioner', Real Estate, Chambers Europe 2015
- "The highly regarded Tapio Teräkivi is ‘a tough negotiator’ ", Real estate and construction, Legal 500, 2015
- Ranked among the best lawyers in the 2015, 2016 and 2017 edition (Helsinki: Construction Law, Real Estate Law) of Best Lawyers®
- "one of the best transaction lawyers in the country", Real Estate and Construction, Legal 500, 2014
- '..."one of the top lawyers in real estate," according to sources, particularly on the transactional side of high-level, complex cases.', Real Estate, Chambers Europe 2014
- Ranked as a leading practitioner in Real Estate Law by Who’s Who Legal: Real Estate 2014
- Chamber Real Estate (Band 1), Legal 500
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND
- Hannes Snellman 2013-
- Castrén & Snellman 2009-2013
- Roschier, Attorneys Ltd. 2000-2009
- MBA, Cranfield School of Management, UK & E.M. Lyon, France 2004/2005
- Master of Laws, University of Helsinki 2000
- Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg, Germany 1999/2000