PRACTICE AND EXPERIENCE
Sonja's practice includes capital markets transactions and other transactions involving listed companies as well as corporate governance related matters. She has advised clients in a number of equity and debt capital market transactions (both domestic and international), including IPOs, secondary share issues, complex corporate transactions, public takeovers and bond issues. She is also a trusted advisor in disclosure, insider and corporate governance matters as well as other securities markets related regulatory matters.
Counsel to Ahlstrom-Munksjö in connection with its EUR 150 million rights issue to partly finance the acquisition of Expera Specialty Solutions, 2018.
Counsel to LocalTapiola Mutual Life Insurance Company on its issue of EUR 100 million capital notes, 2018.
Counsel to Ahlstrom-Munksjö in the acquisition of Expera Specialty Solutions, a U.S.-based specialty paper producer, for an enterprise value of USD 615 million, and the related financing, 2018.
Counsel to Altia Plc in its IPO and listing on the official list of Nasdaq Helsinki, 2018.
Counsel to Terveystalo in its IPO and listing on the Nasdaq Helsinki stock exchange, 2017.
Counsel to Lemminkäinen Corporation in the combination of Lemminkäinen Corporation and YIT Corporation through a statutory merger, 2017.
Counsel to Ahlstrom in the combination of Ahlstrom and Munksjö through a merger, 2016.
Counsel to Sampo plc in its mandatory public cash offer for all outstanding shares in Topdanmark A/S, 2016.
Counsel to Biotie Therapies Corp. in the public tender offer of the shares and other securities in Biotie Therapies by Acorda Therapeutics, 2016.
Counsel to Faron Pharmaceuticals Ltd in its IPO and listing on the AIM market of the London Stock Exchange as well as in the preceding fundraising of approx. GBP 10 million, 2015.
Counsel to Biotie Therapies Corp. in its U.S. public offering of ADSs, representing the company's shares, and listing on NASDAQ Global Select Market (New York) as well as in the preceding private investment by certain U.S. investors and existing shareholders. The gross proceeds raised by Biotie through the U.S. public offering and the private investment was approx. EUR 83 million, 2015.
Counsel to Asiakastieto Oyj in its initial public offering (EUR 170 million) and listing on NASDAQ OMX Helsinki Ltd, 2015.
Counsel to LocalTapiola Mutual Life Insurance Company in an issue of EUR 100 million dated subordinated fixed rate callable capital notes, 2014.
- Counsel to Lemminkäinen Corporation in connection with its EUR 30 million rights issue and listing of new shares on NASDAQ OMX Helsinki Ltd, 2014.
- Counsel to Ahlstrom Corporation in connection with its EUR 100 million bond issue, the listing thereof on NASDAQ OMX Helsinki Ltd and the tender offer for its outstanding EUR 100 million bond, 2014.
- Counsel to Lemminkäinen Corporation in connection with its EUR 100 million bond issue and the listing thereof on NASDAQ OMX Helsinki Ltd, 2014.
- Counsel to SRV Yhtiöt Oyj in connection with its EUR 75 million bond issue and the listing thereof on NASDAQ OMX Helsinki Ltd, 2013.
- Counsel to Ahlstrom Corporation in connection with its EUR 100 million hybrid bond issue and the tender offer for and the redemption of its outstanding EUR 80 million hybrid bond, 2013.
- Counsel to Munksjö Oyj, created through the combination of Ahlstrom Corporation’s Label and Processing business with Munksjö AB with a combined net sales of approximately EUR 1.3 billion and approximately 3,300 employees, in its listing on NASDAQ OMX Helsinki Ltd, 2012/2013.
- Counsel to Old Mutual plc and Skandia Life Assurance Company Ltd in the sale of their Finnish unit-linked life and pension business with total assets of approximately EUR 1.3 billion to OP-Pohjola Group Central Cooperative, including, inter alia, the incorporation and licensing of a new Finnish life insurance company and a cross-border insurance portfolio transfer, 2011/2012.
- 'One client highlights her technical expertise in the capital markets area.', Chambers Europe, 2019
- 'Sources say that she is "a skilled capital markets lawyer," adding: "She is proactive and has a good, client-friendly approach."', Chambers Europe, 2018
- Ranked in Capital Markets in the 2017 edition of Legal 500
- Ranked as an "outstanding up and comer" in the 2017 edition (Finland: Capital Markets) of Chambers Europe
- Described as "a very dedicated and ambitious lawyer with a deep knowledge of company law." Sources also say that she is "a good listener.", Chambers Europe, 2017
- Ranked among the Rising stars in the 2017, 2018 and 2019 editions (Finland: M&A) of IFLR1000
MEMBERSHIPS AND POSITIONS OF TRUST
- Member of the Finnish Bar Association, 2005
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND
- Partner, Hannes Snellman, 2014 -
- Managing Associate, Hannes Snellman, 2012 – 2013
- Senior Associate, Hannes Snellman, 2005 – 2011
- Visiting lawyer, Mannheimer Swartling, Berlin, 2003
- Associate, Hannes Snellman, 2001 – 2005
- Master of Laws, University of Helsinki, 2001