Sanna specialises in funds management and financial services regulation. She has particular expertise in investment funds, asset and wealth management and financial markets, as well as on the establishment of retail investment funds and hedge funds. Sanna advises banks, investment firms, fund managers and other financial markets participants both in Finland and overseas on a wide range of issues within the financial services sector.
Sanna joined Hannes Snellman in 2018 from Chapman Tripp in Auckland. Sanna has also worked as a senior in-house counsel at Société Générale Private Banking in London, and as an associate in the asset management team at an international law firm, Norton Rose Fulbright in London.
- Counsel to YIT in its agreement to establish a joint venture company for housing investments with Ålandsbanken.
- Counsel to Telia Company in its acquisition of AinaCom Oy.
Counsel to Commonwealth Bank (CBA) in the sale of its global asset management business, Colonial First State Global Asset Management (CFSGAM) to Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking Corporation.
- Counsel to various alternative investment fund managers on Finnish licencing applications and notification requirements, and assisted in their licence or notification processes with the Finnish Financial Supervisory Authority.
Assisted various UK based banks, fund managers and investment firms on their Brexit planning in Finland.
Counsel to various UK based investment firms and banks on applying for post-Brexit authorisation from the Finnish Financial Supervisory Authority.
Assisted financial services providers on applications to, and negotiations with, regulators.
Advised clients on anti-money laundering compliance.
Advised on the structuring, launch, and distribution of new financial products.*
Advised a large bank and two leading New Zealand fund managers on transitioning their entire product range to the new Financial Markets Conduct Act (FMCA) regime (the new securities legislation in New Zealand), including drafting and negotiating new fund governing and offering documentation for all their products.*
*=(references from prior to joining Hannes Snellman)
- Hannes Snellman Blog | Changes to Pre-Marketing of Private Equity and Other Alternative Investment Funds, 2019
- Hannes Snellman Blog | The Cross-Border Licensing Regime Enters into Force on 20 March 2019, 2019
- Hannes Snellman Blog | Update on the Finnish Cross-Border Licence for Third-Country Firms, 2019
- Hannes Snellman Blog | Anti-Money Laundering Rules Imposed New Obligations on Entities Registered in the Finnish Trade Register, 2019
- Hannes Snellman Blog | Brexit: Implications for Financial Services in Finland and Sweden, 2019
- Legal Update | Finnish Ministry of Finance is Proposing a Cross-Border Licence for Third-Country Firms, 2018
- Hannes Snellman Blog | Virtual Currency Providers Regulated for the First Time in Finland, 2018
- Nordic Highlights Q2/2018: Third Country Firms and Reverse Solicitation Under MiFID II
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND
Counsel, Hannes Snellman Attorneys Ltd, Helsinki, 2018 –
Senior Legal Adviser, Chapman Tripp, Auckland, 2013-2018
Senior Legal Adviser, Société Générale Private Banking Hambros, London, 2011-2013
Associate, Norton Rose Fullbright, London, 2005-2011
Secondment, Norton Rose Fullbright (Middle East), Dubai, 2008
Associate, Dittmar & Indrenius, Helsinki, 2001-2004
Trained on the Bench, District Court of Kouvola, 2000-2001
LL.M. in Corporate and Securities Law, University College London, 2005
Master of Laws, University of Turku, 2000
Erasmus exchange year, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, 1997-1998