PRACTICE AND EXPERIENCE
Piia Ahonen joined Hannes Snellman in January 2019. She heads our VAT and other indirect tax matters and client accounts in the fields of tax consultancy and tax controversy.
Piia has over 16 years of experience in Finnish and international indirect taxation. Previously, Piia worked for EY, and she has advised both Finnish and international clients in the automotive, real estate, and energy sectors, as well as the manufacturing and retail sectors. She also has experience in assisting non-profit organisations in VAT-related matters.
Piia is a well-known and popular lecturer in VAT topics relating to global trade, real estate, and general day-to-day VAT issues. In addition, she has published several articles on value added taxation.
Since 2013, Piia has been a member of the Committee of Law and Tax of the Tampere Chamber of Commerce & Industry.
On 12 February 2019, the Finnish Supreme Administrative Court issued a resolution concerning the VAT treatment of intermediary services to Finnish students aiming to study abroad in the U.S. Piia Ahonen successfully defended the client’s position through instances, and the resolution issued by the Supreme Administrative Court as a yearbook decision finally confirms that the client’s position is right and that the tax assessments were unlawful. The intermediary services are not subject to Finnish VAT due to the fact that the client acted as an intermediary between U.S. schools and Finnish students in relation to U.S.-based education and accommodation services that are not taxed in Finland.
- Brexit nyt tai myöhemmin – mihin verovaikutuksiin tulisi varautua?, Hannes Snellman Blog, 2019
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND
- Specialist Partner, Hannes Snellman 2019-
- Senior Tax Manager (Local Partner 2015) Ernst & Young Oy, 2005-2019
- Tax Clerk, Tax Office for Major Corporations, 2004-2005
- Tax Clerk, Local Tax Office of Helsinki, 2002-2004
- Trained on the Bench, District Court of Mikkeli, 2001-2002
- Tax Auditor, Local Tax Office of Helsinki, 2001
- Master of Laws, University of Helsinki, 2001
- University of Stockholm, 1999
- Helsinki School of Economics and Business Administration, 1999