PRACTICE AND EXPERIENCE
Matti practises arbitration and litigation in the Dispute Resolution group.
Matti has particular experience in construction, engineering, and project delivery disputes, as well as in matters relating to mergers & acquisitions and real estate. Matti regularly advises in transactions and post-closing claims.
In addition to negotiating settlements and advocating cases in front of arbitral tribunals and state courts, Matti also has experience in dispute avoidance, such as in training clients or in drafting agreement templates that seek to prevent future disputes.
To add to experience gained at Hannes Snellman, Matti draws from his previous career as a journalist in leading Finnish news organisations, where he specialised in politics and business
- Represents a large Finnish city in court proceedings over damages claims relating to water quality.
- Represented consultants in two different arbitrations concerning power plant disputes.
- Defended a multimillion arbitral award against a set aside claim in Finnish courts.
- Represented the client against contractors in a dispute over the renovation of a water treatment facility.
- Represented an international industrial company in an arbitration over the interpretation of a supply agreement.
- Represented the buyer in an arbitration over breaches of the seller’s warranties in the acquisition of a major Finnish company.
- Defended a board member of a foundation from damages claims made in Finnish courts against several individuals, co-ordinating the work of counsel representing the different respondents.
- Represented a Finnish construction company in litigation against a consultant over a major construction project.
- Represented a Finnish construction company in an arbitration over a renovation project in central Helsinki.
- Getting the Deal Through: Arbitration, Finland Chapter together with Järvinen, Tamminen and Lehto, 2019
- Hannes Snellman Blog | Suomi tarvitsee UNCITRALin mallilain, 2018
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND
Associate, Hannes Snellman, 2015
Master of Laws, University of Helsinki, 2015
Associate Trainee, Hannes Snellman, 2014 – 2015
Bachelor of Arts (journalism), University of Jyväskylä, 2013
Journalist, Helsingin Sanomat, 2011 & 2012 – 2014
Journalist, Yle Uutiset, 2007 – 2010 & 2011 – 2012