PRACTICE AND EXPERIENCE
Klaus advises domestic and international clients on assignments related to environmental law. He is regularly involved in a wide range of energy and natural resources projects. Wind power development is a particular focal area of his expertise and he has in-depth regulatory know-how and practical experience in this field. Klaus has also had an active role in numerous infrastructure related projects ranging from waterways to harbours and road networks. Klaus is a member of Hannes Snellman’s cross-border Infrastructure & Energy team, which is a multi-disciplinary group of experienced lawyers whose expertise cuts across capital markets, construction, environment, litigation, PPP, project finance, restructuring and tax, and which has an outstanding track-record.
- Counsel to the City of Porvoo in the drafting of the building code of the municipality.
- Counsel to Caverion in the sale of project piping & tank business and the related Ylivieska workshop.
- Counsel to Jarkir Oy in the sale of Uusioaines Oy to Partnera Oy and Suomen Teollisuussijoitus Oy.
Finnish counsel to Elementis plc in its proposed acquisition of Mondo Minerals B.V.
Counsel to Metsähallitus in its divestment of two pre-construction stage wind power projects with an aggregate output of approximately 300 megawatts, respectively, to Enefit Green, and to a JV of Ilmatar Windpower Oyj and Omnes Capital managed Capenergie 3.
- Counsel to Green Horizon Renewables in the acquisition of over 70% stake in Winda Power.
- Counsel to SUSI Partners AG in its acquisition of the Tetrituuli Wind Farm in Finland from Ilmatar Windpower Plc.
- Counsel to Hartwall Capital Oy Ab in its acquisition of SUEZ Suomi Oy.
- Counsel to Eurus Energy Holdings Corporation in its acquisition of two wind farms in Finland from Maas Capital Renewables and YARD ENERGY.
- Counsel to Metsähallitus in its divestment of wind farm project to Taaleri Plc private equity fund and Loiste Energia Oy.
- Counsel to Veolia in a JV with Neste and Borealis to build a new combined heat and power plant and produce and supply steam and other utilities to Neste's refinery and Borealis' petrochemical plant in Porvoo, Finland.
- Counsel to Metsähallitus in its divestment of two pre-construction stage wind power projects (envisaged to comprise a total of 64 wind power plants with an aggregate output of approximately 166 megawatts) to a JV owned by Taaleritehtaan Tuulitehdas II Ky and Loiste Energia Oy.
- Counsel to the municipality of Siuntio in the amendment of its city plan concerning a shopping mall.
- Counsel to the Finnish Transport Authority in a dispute concerning environmental remediation requirements of a lake located in Southern Finland.
- Counsel to a Finnish hydropower plant owner in a dispute concerning the proposed amendments to the existing water permit and compensation related thereto.
- Counsel to a foreign mining company in assessing environmental obligations and liabilities resulting from possible shut-down of a mine in Finland.
- Counsel to a large Finnish energy production company in its dispute concerning the acceptable emission levels to the water course and environmental damages related thereto.
- Counsel to a Finnish City in an administrative proceedings in relation to remediation liability of an landfill.
- Counsel to TuuliWatti Oy in permitting of several wind farms in Finland.
- Counsel to TuuliSaimaa Oy in a zoning dispute against the Finnish Military Forces regarding the construction of a wind farm in Eastern Finland.
- Counsel to Finnish Wind Power Association in a regulatory assignment concerning the noise emissions caused by wind turbines.
Counsel to Mondi Group in its acquisition of Walki Group's extrusion coating plants located in Pietarsaari, Finland and Wroclaw, Poland.
- Ranked as a recognised practitioner in Energy & Natural Resources in the 2018 & 2019 editions of Chambers Europe
- Ranked among the best lawyers in the 2015, 2016 and 2017 editions (Helsinki: Environmental Law) of Best Lawyers®
- Leading practitioner, Who’s Who Legal: Environment (2014, 2015 and 2016).
MEMBERSHIPS AND POSITIONS OF TRUST
- Secretary of the IBA's Environment, Health and Safety Law (EHS) Committee
- Member of the Finnish Bar Association
- Member of the Finnish Society for Environmental Law
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND
- Hannes Snellman 2013-
- Borenius Attorneys at Law 2010-2013
- Ministry of the Environment 2009-2010
- State Environmental Administration 2004-2009
- University of Helsinki, Faculty of law 1999-2004
- Licentiate in Laws, University of Helsinki 2003
- Master of Laws, University of Helsinki 1999