PRACTICE AND EXPERIENCE
Johan Aalto is Hannes Snellman’s Senior Partner. He specialises in mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and capital markets, with an emphasis on public takeovers. During the last few years, Johan has been involved in some of the largest and most complex transactions in Finland. He also focuses on corporate governance issues and acts as the chairman of general meetings of several listed companies in Finland.
Johan has been awarded the honorary title Lagman by the President of the Republic of Finland.
- Counsel to Ramirent Plc in the recommended EUR 970 million public cash tender offer by Loxam S.A.S.
Counsel to Commonwealth Bank (CBA) in the sale of its global asset management business, Colonial First State Global Asset Management (CFSGAM) to Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking Corporation.
Counsel to Ahlstrom-Munksjö in the acquisition of Expera Specialty Solutions, a U.S.-based specialty paper producer, for an enterprise value of USD 615 million, and the related financing.
Counsel to NDX Intressenter in the mandatory bid for all shares in Nordax Group AB.
Counsel to Sampo plc in its acquisition of 19.9% of shares in Saxo Bank Group for EUR 265 million.
Counsel to GW Sohlberg in Ahlström Capital’s EUR 110 million acquisition of shares in Detection Technology and Glaston from GW Sohlberg.
Counsel to Ahlstrom in the combination of Ahlstrom and Munksjö through a merger.
Counsel to Sampo plc in its mandatory public cash offer for all outstanding shares in Topdanmark A/S.
Counsel to Okmetic Oyj in the voluntary recommended public tender offer of approximately EUR 170 million by National Silicon Industry Group for all shares and option rights in Okmetic Oyj.
Counsel to EQT Infrastructure Limited in its sale of Adven Group to a consortium comprising of AMP Capital Investors and Infracapital Partners II.
Counsel to Valmet Corporation on its 340 MEUR acquisition of the process automation systems business from Metso Corporation.
Counsel to Heineken on its sale of the Finnish brewery Hartwall to Royal Unibrew (deal value EUR 470 million).
- Counsel to Siemens AG on its EUR 1.7 billion divestiture of 50 % in Nokia Siemens Networks a joint venture established in 2007 between Siemens and Nokia Corporation.
- Counsel to Ahlstrom Corporation on the combination of its LP business with Munksjö, creating Munksjö Oyj, a company to be listed on Nasdaq OMX Helsinki with approx. EUR 1.3 billion in turnover and more than 3,300 employees.
- Counsel to ThyssenKrupp on the EUR 2.7 billion combination of ThyssenKrupp’s stainless steel unit Inoxum with Outokumpu (2012) and the subsequent transactions between ThyssenKrupp and Outokumpu as well as the divestiture by ThyssenKrupp of its 29.9 % shareholding in Outokumpu (2013-2014).
- Ranked in Band 1 in Corporate/M&A in the 2019 edition of Chambers Global and Chambers Europe
- One client says Johan Aalto is "the number one M&A lawyer in Finland. He stands out in the team as he is old enough and experienced enough to provide the best advice" and another client describes him as "Highly competent! Excellent performance." IFLR1000, 2019
- Ranked as Market leader in Capital Markets and M&A in the 2019 edition of IFLR1000
- "Johan Aalto and Sten Olsson are ‘probably the best M&A lawyers in Finland’ according to one client", Commercial, corporate and M&A, Legal 500, 2018
- "Clients appreciate that he is 'very experienced, solution-driven and easy to deal with.'", Corporate and M&A, Chambers Global 2018 and Chambers Europe 2018
- "Johan Aalto is described by clients as 'a good negotiator with nerves of steel.'", Corporate and M&A, Chambers Global 2017 and Chambers Europe 2017
- Leading individual, Commercial, corporate and M&A, Legal 500, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019
- "...Very knowledgeable, easy to deal with and fast." Corporate and M&A, Chambers Global 2016 and Chambers Europe 2016
- Ranked as a Highly regarded lawyer in Capital Markets and Corporate and M&A in the 2016, 2017 and 2018 editions of IFLR1000
- Ranked as "Lawyer of the Year" in Mergers and Acquisitions Law (Helsinki, 2016) by Best Lawyers®
- Ranked among the leading lawyers (Corporate and M&A, Finland) in Legal 500, 2015
- "Commentators agree that Johan Aalto 'is one of the best M&A lawyers in Finland. He is smart, excellent in negotiations and offers great depth of legal expertise' ", Corporate/M&A, Chambers Global 2015 and Chambers Europe 2015
- Ranked as "Lawyer of the Year" in Corporate Law (Helsinki, 2015) by Best Lawyers®
- "Sources deem him a 'very talented' lawyer who exercises 'superb judgement' in major cases.", Corporate/M&A, Chambers Global 2014
- Leading practitioner, Who’s Who Legal, Corporate Governance, 2014
- Ranked among the best lawyers in the 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 editions (Helsinki: Corporate Governance & Compliance, Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions and Private Equity) of Best Lawyers®
- 'Senior partner Johan Aalto is one of Finland’s leading transactional lawyers...', Legal 500, 2013
- 'Johan Aalto is a noted force in major Finnish transactions...', Corporate/M&A, Chambers Global 2013 and Chambers Europe 2013
- Winner of the Mergers & Acquisitions category for Finland in the Client Choice Awards - International 2013
- Ranked as "Lawyer of the Year" in Private Equity (Helsinki, 2013) by Best Lawyers®
- Leading lawyer, Corporate/M&A, Chambers Europe 2011
- Ranked as "Lawyer of the Year" in Corporate (Helsinki, 2010) by Best Lawyers®
- Leading lawyer, Capital Markets and M&A, IFLR1000, 2015 edition
- Leading lawyer, Corporate/M&A, Chambers Global and Chambers Europe 2010
- Leading practitioner, The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers, Banking, 2010
- Leading practitioner, The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers, Capital Markets, 2010
- Leading lawyer in Banking and finance, Corporate and M&A as well as in EU and Competition in the Guide to European Legal Experts 2010
- Endorsed in Corporate/M&A, Directors duties and liabilities, Private Equity/venture capital, Finland, PLC Which Lawyer? 2010
MEMBERSHIPS AND POSITIONS OF TRUST
- Member of the committee preparing the first Finnish guidelines on takeovers (the Helsinki Takeover Code), 2007
- Board memberships in several companies
- Member of the Finnish Bar Association, 1991
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND
- Senior Partner, 2009–
- Managing Partner, Hannes Snellman, 2005–2009
- Partner, Hannes Snellman, 1994
- Master of Laws, University of Helsinki, 1987