PRACTICE AND EXPERIENCE
Henrik's practice encompasses the entire credit spectrum of domestic as well as cross-border transactions, with particular focus on bank lending, acquisition financing, real estate and project financing, leasing and asset financing, debt capital markets, securitisation, derivatives, structured financing and regulatory issues in the financial sector. Henrik acts for lenders, borrowers, issuers, underwriters, sponsors and investment firms in all sectors.
- Counsel to Nordea Bank Abp in relation to issue of U.S.$1,250,000,000 Perpetual Non-Call March 2026 Additional Tier 1 Conversion Notes under the U.S.$25,000,000,000 Global Medium Term Note Programme in March, 2019.
- Counsel to Nordea Bank Abp in connection with the establishment of its U.S.$ 25,000,000,000 Global Medium-Term Note Programme in November, 2018.
- Counsel to Nordea Bank Abp in connection with the establishment of its €50,000,000,000 Euro Medium Term Note Programme in November, 2018.
- Nordea Bank AB (publ) issue of U.S.$500,000,000 4.625 per cent. Dated Subordinated Notes due 2033 (the “Notes”) under the U.S.$25,000,000,000 Global Medium Term Note Programme in September, 2018.
- Nordea Bank AB (publ) issue of U.S.$750,000,000 3.750 per cent. Senior Non-Preferred Notes due 2023 and U.S.$250,000,000 Floating Rate Notes due 2023 under the U.S.$25,000,000,000 Global Medium Term Note Programme in August, 2018.
- Counsel to Nordic Trustee in the restructuring of ownership and financing structure of Elematic Oyj, 2018.
- Counsel to Nykredit Realkredit A/S in financing the acquisition of portfolio of 824 apartments by Aberdeen Standard Investments from LähiTapiola, 2018.
- Counsel to EQT Partners UK Advisors LLP in the financing of Keensight Capital’s investment in Biovian Oy, 2018.
- Counsel to Polygon AB (publ) in connection with the issuance of the EUR 210 million senior secured notes and the entry into of a super senior RCF, 2018.
Counsel to Tapiola KR III Ky in relation to its financing of the development of the Ainoa Shopping Centre in September, 2017.
Counsel to Santander in relation to the issue by SFC Rahoituspalvelut Kimi VI DAC of EUR 634,700,000 Class A Notes and EUR 64,800,000 Class B Notes secured by a portfolio of hire purchase agreements made by Santander Consumer Finance Oy.
Counsel to Ramirent Oyj in relation to its EUR 50 million loan agreement with the European Investment Bank in December, 2017.
Counsel to a fund managed by Barings Real Estate Advisers in its acquisition of Entresse shopping mall from CapMan, 2017.
- Counsel to Niam in its acquisition of an office property in Helsinki, called Life Science Center Keilaniemi, from Commerz Real Investmentgesellschaft MBH, 2016.
- Counsel to Niam in its acquisition of a portfolio of six modern office properties located within the Helsinki Metropolitan Area from Elo Mutual Pension Insurance Company, 2016.
- Henrik Mattson, Jussi Ahtola and Antti Alanko acted for Niam in the financing relating to Niam’s acquisition of the Kaari shopping centre in September 2015.
- Henrik Mattson and Janne Veneranta acted for Tikkurila Oyj in relation to its EUR 150 million term and revolving facilities agreement in June 2015.
- Henrik Mattson and Jussi Ahtola acted for the lenders in relation to the EUR 100 million revolving credit facility agreement of Caverion Oyj in May 2015.
- Henrik Mattson acted for Ramirent Oyj in relation to its EUR 145 million revolving credit facility agreement in June 2014.
Henrik Mattson acted for Swedbank AB (publ) March 2014 in the senior financing relating to Capman’s acquisition of Harvia, one of the world’s leading companies in the sauna industry. Harvia’s turnover for 2013 was EUR 47 million.
Henrik Mattson and Niina Natunen acted for the creditors in the senior acquisition financing relating to Permira’s acquisition of the specialty chemicals company CABB International from Bridgepoint in July 2014.
Henrik Mattson, Jussi Ahtola and Elli Sistonen acted for Aareal Bank AG in the senior acquisition finance for NIAM’s acquisition in July 2014 of Voimatalo and a portfolio consisting of 4 office buildings.
- Counsel to Atria Plc – Issue of a EUR 50 million fixed rate unsecured bond, 2013.
- Finnish counsel to Sampo plc / Issue of EUR 500,000,000 (4.250 per cent) fixed rate notes due 27 February 2017.
- Banco Santander and Santander Consumer Finance - Notes issued by SCF Rahoituspalvelut Limited, backed by car loan receivables originated by Santander Consumer Finance (SCF) Oy. Total value of the portfolio: EUR 481,957,657. The first ever auto loan securitisation in Finland, April 2012.
- Finnish Counsel to Nordea Bank Finland Plc / Issue of EUR 1,250,000,000 Covered Bonds due 2020, January 2013.
- Finnish Counsel to Nordea Bank Finland Plc / Issue of EUR 1,500,000,000 Covered Bonds due 2019, May 2012.
- The Republic of Finland / EUR 4,000,000,000 serial bonds due 2022 offering / September 2012 - Finnish counsel to Managers.
- The Republic of Finland / EUR 1,500,000,000 serial bonds due 2042 offering / August 2012 offering - Finnish counsel to Managers.
- Finnish Counsel to OP Mortgage Bank / Issue of EUR 1,250,000,000 Covered Bonds due 2017, May 2012.
Henrik is listed as one of the leading practitioners in his field e.g. in such international legal directories as the Legal 500, Chambers Global, IFLR1000, Who´s Who Legal, European Legal Experts and PLC Which Lawyer?
By way of example, he has been referred to as follows:
- "Clients laud his 'deep knowledge of legal issues.'" Banking and Finance, Chambers Global 2019
- Highly regarded lawyer, Banking, Project finance, Capital markets, Real estate finance, IFLR1000 2019 edition
- "Sources praise his 'solid performance,' adding: 'He is quickly accessible and provides professional advice in a swift manner.'", Banking and Finance, Chambers Global 2018 and Chambers Europe 2018
- "Henrik Mattson is an ‘expert that combines excellent skills with exceptional working capacity.’", Banking and Finance, Legal 500, 2017
- Leading individual, Banking and Finance, Legal 500, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 editions
- "Esteemed head of department Henrik Mattson offers expertise in all kinds of banking issues, including acquisition, project and real estate financing, asset finance and leasing transactions. Sources describe him as 'very pragmatic and experienced.'", Banking and Finance, Chambers Global 2017
- Ranked in Banking and Finance, Finland, in the 2012-2019 editions of Chambers Global
- "Henrik Mattson is 'a multi-talented person who really understands insolvency - if there is a barrier he is able to overcome it.' ", Restructuring/Insolvency, Chambers Europe 2015
- "Sources enthuse that 'his experience clearly adds value,' and that 'he has inside knowledge of the market and is great in negotiations.' ", Banking & Finance, Chambers Europe 2015
- "Practice head Henrik Mattson is ‘spot on with the details’", Banking & Finance, Legal 500, 2015
- "Department head Henrik Mattson is widely regarded as one of the finest practitioners in the market", Banking & Finance, Chambers Global 2015
- "Henrik Mattson is 'a multi-talented person who really understands insolvency - if there is a barrier he is able to overcome it.' He is also strong on restructuring, owing to his banking expertise", Restructuring/Insolvency, Chambers Global 2015
- Highly regarded lawyer in Banking & Finance and Capital Markets, in the 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 editions of IFLR1000
- "Department head and market leader Henrik Mattson remains an established presence in the most complex and high-value financing cases, both domestically and internationally", Banking & Finance, Chambers Global 2014
- Ranked among the best lawyers in the 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 editions (Helsinki: Banking and Finance) of Best Lawyers®
- ‘Henrik Mattson is appreciated as one of the top lawyers in the Finnish banking and finance market, and clients praise his practical approach.’, Banking & Finance, Chambers Global 2013 and Chambers Europe 2013
- ‘Practice head Henrik Mattson is hugely experienced...’, Legal 500, 2013
- ‘Banking and finance heavyweight Henrik Mattson is equally present in the Finnish restructuring market’, Restructuring/Insolvency, Chambers Global 2013 and Chambers Europe 2013
- ‘Practice head Henrik Mattson provides an ‘extremely analytical performance for the large and sensitive matters’, and is recommended...’, Banking & Finance, Legal 500, 2012
- ‘Interviewees mention practice head Henrik Mattson as the "number-one guy" for banking and finance at the firm and praise his "hands-on, flexible and pragmatic" approach.’, Banking & Finance, Chambers Global 2012
- ‘...a highly regarded lawyer who specialises in finance restructuring. According to clients, he "concentrates his attention on the right issues and the right place."’, Restructuring/Insolvency, Chambers Global 2012
- Leading lawyer, Banking, IFLR1000, 2012
- ‘An authority on banking and finance, Henrik Mattson often advises on large restructurings. “Confident and tough in a good way, ” he continues to be one of Finland's foremost finance experts.’, Banking & Finance and Restructuring/Insolvency, Chambers Europe 2011
- 'Clients and peers praise Mattson for his approach. "He is pro-active and thinks out of the box," says one client. A rival partner adds, "Henrik is a dominating lawyer on the banking side; he is very pragmatic and very thorough. I admire his approach."', IFLR1000, 2011
- "Mattson is very senior, very experienced," says one client. "I have always been very satisfied. He knows what the client wants and when the client wants it.", Banking, IFLR1000, 2010
- Leading practitioner, The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers, Banking, 2010
- Leading lawyer, Banking & Finance, Chambers Europe 2010
- Leading lawyer, Banking, IFLR 1000, 2010
- Leading lawyer in Banking and finance in the Guide to European Legal Experts 2010
- Endorsed in Banking and finance; Capital markets: debt and equity, Finland, PLC Which Lawyer? 2010
- Recommended lawyer in Restructuring/Insolvency, Chambers Global and Chambers Europe 2010
- 'Henrik Mattson, a “pragmatic and highly intelligent” lawyer who “provides excellent advice.”', Chambers Europe 2009
- 'Both peers and clients highlight Mattson's work. "He's very much the leader in this field," says one rival, while a client adds: "His knowledge is right up there and he's involved in the biggest deals."', IFLR 1000, 2009
- "another star of this leading banking practice...", Banking and finance, PLCWhich Lawyer? 2009
- 'Henrik Mattson... the firm’s head of finance...is described as an “extremely intelligent and very focused lawyer.”', Chambers Europe 2008
- Highly recommended in Capital markets: debt and equity, PLCWhich Lawyer? 2008
- 'Among the "great lawyers", say clients, are partners Matti Engelberg, Kari Lautjärvi and Henrik Mattson.', Banking and Finance, Legal 500, 2008
- 'a “brilliant technician with a razor-sharp mind.” Commentators have nothing but praise for this expert, stating that he is “easy to work with, available to his clients, swift and direct; he gets the job done.', Chambers Global, 2007
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND
- Partner, Hannes Snellman, 2001
- Associate Lawyer, Hannes Snellman, 1990
- Vicehäradshövding, Court Practice, 1990
- Master of Laws, University of Helsinki, 1989