PRACTICE AND EXPERIENCE
As a member of our Intellectual Property & Technology practice Erkko advises clients in various technology and ICT projects, ICT system deliveries as well as in intellectual property (IP) and technology licensing arrangements. He also advises clients on issues relating to data protection & privacy, e-commerce, telecommunications, media, and marketing & consumer laws and practices. In addition, Erkko has been involved in several IP/ICT-driven M&A transactions and otherwise co-operated our M&A lawyers in transactions with respect to IP and ICT matters.
In 2015 and 2016, Erkko worked a five-month period as a Visiting Foreign Lawyer at Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP in Washington D.C. and Los Angeles.
Technology and ICT
- Advised a global manufacturer of wearable consumer technology in product regulatory matters, such as WEEE regulations, packaging requirements, and products markings.
- Advised a leading private healthcare provider in their corporate transactions from data protection, patient data regulatory and ICT perspective
- Advised an international supplier on frame agreement negotiations with a large Finnish financial services provider concerning the delivery of various new ICT systems, including a system for insurance management.
- Counsel to Scandic Hotels Group in IT separation, IPR and transitional matters in connection with its acquisition of Restel's hotel operations in Finland.
- Advised a Finnish listed equipment rental company in the procurement of warehouse management solution.
- Counsel to Berner Oy, a Finnish-based manufacturing and import company, in the contracting for procurement of a new ERP system
- Advised a significant IT service provider on a novel agile development project. The advice included strategic advice as well as contract drafting and negotiations.
- Counsel to Ramirent Plc. in its outsourcing of IT workplace, ICT infrastructure, service desk and service management to Advania Ab
- Advised a Finnish industrial company on its reselling arrangements of cloud services in Japan
- Advised Valmet Corporation in various IT separation and IP licensing matters in relation to Valmet’s its EUR 340 million acquisition of the process automation systems business from Metso Oyj
- Advised a multinational medical devices provider in contractual and data protection matters concerning its products and related cloud-based services
- Advised a Finnish listed construction company in co-operation agreement and data protection issues concerning cloud-based smart building solution.
- Advised a provider a of business information services in analysing of data protection aspects of the service and drafted data protection documentation, such as privacy statement and policies
- Advised a client on data protection issues in relation to imaging a public road network
- Advised Finnish Committee for UNICEF and Finnish Red Cross in their GDPR preparation projects
- Carried out a full GDPR compliance project for a leading private provider of optician and ophthalmological services. The project included, among other, a thorough review of the client’s current data processing practices and drafting of various policies, DPAs and other relevant documentation.
- Advised a global pharmaceuticals company in data protection and e-privacy issues in relation to deployment of data loss prevention tools and other similar systems.
- Advised world-leading ERP provider in a complex, multi-tier contractual arrangement concerning international data transfers.
- Carried out GDPR compliance projects and provided GDPR advice to various listed and non-listed companies, including drafting of privacy policies, data protection impact assessments, data processing agreements, data retention policies, data flow mapping, etc.
Corporate and M&A Transactions
- Counsel to Francisco Partners backed SmartBear in its acquisition of Bitbar Technologies
- Counsel to EVRY in the combination of Tieto and EVRY through a cross-border merger
- Counsel to Cramo and Adapteo on the spin-off and listing of Adapteo on Nasdaq Stockholm
- Counsel to Fazer Group in its Divestment of Fazer Food Services
- Counsel to Ramirent Plc in the recommended EUR 970 million public cash tender offer by Loxam S.A.S.
Counsel to KID ASA in its Acquisition of 100% of the Shares in Hemtex AB from ICA Gruppen AB
Counsel to Cherry Ventures Management GmbH in its investment and purchase of shares in Chief Chief Technologies Oy/Speechgrinder
- Counsel to BVB Substrates B.V. and its owners in forming the joint venture Kekkilä-BVB Oy by combining BVB Substrates B.V. and Kekkilä Oy
- Counsel to Telia Company in its acquisition of AinaCom Oy
- Counsel to Caverion in the sale of project piping & tank business and the related Ylivieska workshop
- Counsel to Vaaka Partners in its acquisition of NHG
- Counsel to Asiakastieto Group Plc in its acquisition of UC AB in Sweden (valued EUR 340 million)
- Counsel to Orion Corporation in its divestment of the diagnostics business unit Orion Diagnostica Oy to a private equity fund managed by Axcel Management A/S
- Counsel to Vaaka Partners in its acquisition of majority of shares in Jungle Juice Bar
- Counsel to Terveystalo in its IPO and listing on the Nasdaq Helsinki stock exchange
- Counsel to Terveystalo in its acquisition of Diacor Terveyspalvelut Oy from Helsinki Deaconess Institute Foundation sr, LocalTapiola General Mutual Insurance Company and LocalTapiola Mutual Life Insurance Company
- Counsel to Terveystalo in its acquisition of Porin Lääkäritalo from a number of private individuals
- Counsel to SoftBank Corp. and GungHo Online Entertainment, Inc., Japanese corporations, in their USD 1.53 billion acquisition of a 51% stake in Supercell Oy, a Finnish online gaming company
- Counsel to the issuer in IPO of Verkkokauppa.com Oyj
- Counsel to Microsoft Corporation in its EUR 5.44 billion acquisition of Nokia’s Devices and Services Busines
- 'Sources highlight Erkko Korhonen as being "very effective," with "good technical knowledge."', TMT, Chambers Europe 2019
- 'Erkko Korhonen is valued as a “highly effective and driven” adviser', TMT, Chambers Europe 2018
- Recognised as “a rising star” in Patent Editorial 2018 of Managing Intellectual Property, IP Stars.
- Ranked among the best lawyers in the 2017 edition (Helsinki: Telecommunications) of Best Lawyers®
- Ranked as a recommended lawyer in the 2017 edition (TMT) of Legal 500
- The GDPR Has Entered into Effect – What Next? Hannes Snellman Blog, 2018
- Fin-Tech: EBA’s Recommendations on Cloud Outsourcing for Financial Institutions Background, Hannes Snellman Blog, 2018
- EU Portability Regulation to Enable Access to Online Content While Travelling Abroad, Hannes Snellman Blog, 2017
- Data Protection: WP29’s New Guidelines on Data Protection Impact Assessments under the GDPR, Hannes Snellman Blog, 2017
- Data Protection in Cloud: Cloud Providers to Establish New Code of Conduct in Anticipation of GDPR, Hannes Snellman Blog, 2017
- Data Protection: Preparation for the GDPR – Guidance published by the Finnish DPA and Action Plan from WP29, Hannes Snellman Blog, 2017
- EU Data Protection Authorities Provide Useful Guidance on the GDPR, Hannes Snellman Blog, 2016
MEMBERSHIPS AND POSITIONS OF TRUST
- Member of the Finnish Bar Association
- Member of International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Member of the Finnish IT Law Association, Member of the Board 2012-
- Member of the Finnish Sports Law Association
- Member of the Finnish Association for Industrial Property Rights (STY)
- Member of the Association of Finnish Lawyers
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND
- Managing Associate, Hannes Snellman, 2017
- Visiting Foreign Attorney, Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP (Washington D.C. and Los Angeles), 10/2015 – 3/2016.
- Senior Associate, Hannes Snellman, 2012
- Associate Lawyer, Hannes Snellman, 2008
- Master of Laws, University of Helsinki, 2008