PRACTICE AND EXPERIENCE
Tapani’s field of expertise includes various aspects of EU and domestic competition law, including anti-trust, merger control and compliance programmes.
Tapani has published several articles and contributed to international publications on competition law and merger control. He is e.g. the co-author of "From Negotiation to Antitrust Clearance", "Views on the Amendment of the Finnish Competition Act" (with Mikael Wahlbeck, in Defensor Legis 3/2004) and the Finnish contribution to the Public competition Enforcement Review (with Katja Jaakkola and Anna-Liisa Asujamaa).
Tapani is also a frequent speaker at competition law seminars and client events.
Counsel to Scandic Hotels Group in its EUR 114.5 million acquisition of Restel's hotel operations in Finland
Counsel to majority sellers in the sale of a majority of shares in Quattro Mikenti Group Oy to Adelis Equity Partners Fund I AB by Henri Juva and other sellers.
Counsel to Oriola Corporation in the joint venture with Kesko Corporation to establish a chain of health, beauty and wellbeing stores across Finland, with the plan to expand the business to include pharmaceuticals if the legislation is amended.
- Counsel to ISS Palvelut Oy, a leading Finnish facility services provider, in the sale of 100% of the shares in ISS Security Oy and the Finnish security business and related assets to Intera Fund III Ky, a private equity fund managed by Intera Partners.
- Counsel to Triton in the sale of Suomen Lähikauppa Oy to Ruokakesko Oy, a subsidiary of Kesko Corporation.
- Counsel in competition law issues to UPM-Kymmene Corporation, in the sale of UPM-Kymmene's packaging paper business to Billerud Finland Oy.
- Counsel in competition law issues a consortium consisting of 3i, Goldman Sachs and Ilmarinen in the 1.54 billion EUR acquisition of Vattenfall's Finnish electricity distribution and district heat businesses.
- Counsel to EQT III in competition law issues related to the sale of VTI Technologies Oy to KK Murata Manufacturing Co. Ltd.
- Counsel to Hartwall Capital group in the combination of AB Gustaf Kähr and Karelia-Upofloor Oy.
- Counsel to Finnair plc in the partnership agreement between Finnair and LSG concerning Finnair Catering Oy.
- Counsel to Sanoma Corporation in the Sale of WSOY Oy to Bonnier Books Finland Ltd.
- Counsel to Sanoma Corporation and Pressco Trade Services Ltd in the sale of R-kioski Ltd, OÜ Lehepunkt and UAB Impress Teva to Reitan Servicehandel AS.
- Counsel to Destia Ltd in the divestment of Destia Lt’s surfacing business.
- Counsel to Old Mutual plc and Skandia Life Assurance Company Ltd in the sale of the Finnish branch of Skandia Life Assurance Company Ltd from Old Mutual plc to OP-Pohjola Group
- Counsel to EQT Infrastructure Fund in the acquisition of Fortum Energiaratkaisut Oy and Fortum Termest AS by EQT Infrastructure Fund from Fortum Corporation
- Counsel to a major Finnish retailer in an investigation launched by the Finnish Competition Authority (FCA) related to exchange of information.
- Counsel to an international company in a pending private enforcement litigation. This is the first damages case in Finland where the District Court has used the opportunity laid out in the Finnish Competition Act to request an opinion from the FCA.
- Counsel to a multinational company in a case where the FCA has proposed that the Market Court should impose a fine for alleged restrictions of parallel imports in the market for digital cameras.
Tapani has been recommended for competition law expertise, e.g. in the following international publications: Chambers Global, Legal 500, PLCWhich Lawyer?, Who's Who Legal, European Legal Experts and IFLR 100 Experts Guide. By way of example, he has been referred to as follows:
- 'Tapani Manninen wins praise for his "flexible and no-nonsense" approach and ability to "deliver clear directions." ', Chambers Europe 2018
- Ranked in the Elite category in GCR 100, Global Competition Review, 2018
- Ranked in EU and Competition on the 2017 edition of Legal 500
- Described as a "very experienced and skilled professional", Competition/ European Law, Chambers Europe 2017
- Ranked in the Elite category in GCR 100, Global Competition Review, 2017
- Tapani Manninen is "one of the premier legal counsel in Finland for this area," ', Competition/ European Law, Chambers Europe 2015
- Ranked as "Lawyer of the Year" in Competition Law (Helsinki, 2015) by Best Lawyers®
- ‘Market leader Tapani Manninen is a highly experienced and "very solution-oriented" competition lawyer, who is active on the firm's most complex competition cases...’, Competition/European Law, Chambers Europe 2014
- Ranked among the best lawyers in the 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 editions (Helsinki: Competition) of Best Lawyers®
- ‘Tapani Manninen has substantial experience of Finnish competition law and is the prominent figure for this firm in the market.’, Competition/European Law, Chambers Europe 2013
- '...is immensely experienced in the field, and clients appreciate his vast knowledge and considered approach.', Chambers Europe 2012
- ‘Sources recognise Tapani Manninen as a leading figure in competition law, “clearly one of the most experienced practitioners in this area. ”’, Chambers Europe 2011
- Leading practitioner, The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers, Competition Lawyers and Economists 2010
- Ranked in the Elite category in GCR 100, Global Competition Review, 2010
- Leading lawyer in EU and Competition in the Guide to European Legal Experts 2010
- Leading lawyer, Finland, Competition/European Law, Chambers Europe 2010
- Endorsed inCompetition/anti-trust, Finland, PLC Which Lawyer? 2010
- 'With his long experience in the field, Tapani Manninen is highly admired as “one of the clear leaders in the market.”', Chambers Europe 2009
- "The broad practice…handles international and domestic competition matters of the highest level...Partners Mikael Wahlbeck and Tapani Manninen are ‘ quick’ and ‘very professional’.", Legal 500, 2009
- "Solid competition law expert with experience both in traditional contentious matters (behavioural competition advice) and non-contentious issues (merger control and compliance programmes)", PLCWhich Lawyer? 2009
- ’“Pragmatic” Tapani Manninen “really concentrates on serving the customer” according to satisfied clients, who add that he can offer “effective solutions.” Chambers Global and Chambers Europe 2008
- "...one of the world's pre-eminent Competition lawyers.", The International Who’s Who of Competition Lawyers & Economists 2008
- "Tapani Manninen enjoys an enviable reputation in the market and is frequently involved in many of the major cases. Clients pointed to his "extensive background knowledge" and also appreciated his speed and efficiency in handling challenging cases.", Chambers Global 2007
MEMBERSHIPS AND POSITIONS OF TRUST
- Member of the Finnish Bar Association
- Member of the International Bar Association
- Member of the Association of Finnish Lawyers
- Member of the Finnish Association for Competition Law
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND
- Senior Advisor, Hannes Snellman, 2018
- Partner, Hannes Snellman, 2001
- Resident Partner of Paris branch, Heikki Haapaniemi Attorneys at Law, 1995
- Partner, Heikki Haapaniemi Attorneys at Law, 1995
- Associate Lawyer, Heikki Haapaniemi Attorneys at Law, 1989
- Diplôme d’etudes supérieures européennes, Centre Universitaire Européen de Nancy, 1989
- Master of Laws, University of Helsinki, 1987