PRACTICE AND EXPERIENCE
Panu Siitonen heads our Intellectual Property practice in Helsinki. He has vast experience in intellectual property (IP) and information and communications technology (ICT) matters as well as IP and ICT related litigation. Panu also has substantial experience in life sciences, regulatory, marketing and e-commerce as well as sports, media and entertainment.
Panu has advocated several cases relating to trademarks and domain names, patents and utility models, copyrights and databases and complex IP-intensive contractual issues. In addition, Panu has advocated several cases relating to marketing and unfair business practices. Panu has represented clients in arbitration and litigation before the Market Court, the Helsinki District Court, the Helsinki Court of Appeals, the Supreme Administrative Court and the Court of Justice of the European Union.
As to ICT, Panu has advised and represented clients in numerous ICT-related assignments, such as ERP and other complex projects as well as ICT-related disputes. Panu is also an experienced negotiator and has advised clients in various agreement negotiations relating to IT system deliveries, software licensing and services, research and development projects, supply of components, manufacturing and co-operation projects. In addition, Panu advises regularly in transactions with respect to IP and ICT matters.
Panu also provides strategical advice and, according to clients, he is “able to use his intelligence to direct the client. He is a trusted person” (Chambers Europe, 2016). According to another client, “Panu has an exceptional business-oriented approach in addition to his extensive professional expertise.”(ILO Client Choice 2017).
Counsel to Sampo plc in its acquisition of 19.9% of shares in Saxo Bank Group for EUR 265 million
Counsel to Oriola Corporation in the joint venture with Kesko Corporation to establish a chain of health, beauty and wellbeing stores across Finland, with the plan to expand the business to include pharmaceuticals if the legislation is amended.
Counsel to a Finnish public company in a domain name dispute before the WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center.
Counsel to Novartis Finland Oy in a patent dispute before the Market Court.
Counsel to a Finnish public company in an unfair business practices dispute before the Market Court.
Counsel to a Finnish public company in arbitration regarding a complex contractual software application licensing dispute.
Counsel to Valmet Corporation in a patent dispute.
Counsel to Uponor in establishing an Intelligent Water Sensing Technology JV with Belkin International in the U.S. and Europe.
- Counsel to Patria and its shareholder in the sale of 49.9% of the shares in Patria Oyj to Kongsberg Defence & Aerospace AS.
- Counsel to Intellectual Ventures, a leading invention capital company with one of the world’s largest and fastest growing invention portfolios, in creating Benemilk Oy, an R&D and IP joint venture with Raisio plc, a Finnish plant-based nutrition corporation, around Raisio’s cattle feed supplement invention.
- Counsel to Bureau National Interprofessionnel du Cognac in disputes concerning geographical indication “Cognac” and Finnish trademarks before the Court of Justice of the European Union and the Supreme Administrative Court of Finland. The cases resulted in precedents issued by the Supreme Administrative Court of Finland.
- Counsel to an international pharmaceutical company in a non-infringement dispute concerning patents.
- Counsel to a manufacturer of DVD players against other manufacturer in a patent dispute.
- Counsel to an international toy manufacturer and their distributor in a case concerning counterfeit goods.
- Counsel to an international pharmaceutical company in arbitration concerning patent license agreement.
The International Law Office (ILO) has granted Panu their Client Choice Award 2013, 2014 and 2017 in the Intellectual Property: Trademarks category. The ILO Client Choice Awards recognises those law firms and partners around the world that stand apart for the excellent client care they provide and the quality of their service. Based on ILO’s survey among senior corporate counsel, Panu was regarded as the best lawyer in the aforementioned category in Finland.
Below a sample of quotes from Panu’s client feedback:
- “His knowledge of IP law is excellent; he is practical and business focused and he is a pleasure to work with.”
- “Panu has an exceptional business-oriented approach in addition to his extensive professional expertise.”
- “He delivers top quality results even within strict deadlines; he is easy-going which makes the process smooth and pleasant.”
- “Panu is able to think strategically; he has the client's best interests in mind.”
- “Panu has been exceptional so far, and in all cases he has at least met – and mostly exceeded – my expectations with the results”
- “Mr Siitonen provides a high-quality service which in every respect exceeds the hours spent and fees paid in value”
- “Mr Siitonen has always demonstrated exceptional dedication to his work. This is particularly seen in his willingness to understand the client’s business and the entire legal and commercial framework”
- “In addition to assisting clients in both contract negotiations and disputes, he provides deep insight on the risks involved”
- “Clearly business oriented approach with problem solving attitude”
- “His attitude to client work is excellent and he has a capability to finalise matters in an efficient way, which is highly appreciated by clients”
- “Panu Siitonen represents in his work vast experience in Intellectual Property. This is reflected in his ability to discuss complicated issues on different levels depending on who he is speaking to”
- “Ability to clarify advice and documentation on a complex legal field of healthcare and life sciences”
- “Thorough and detailed approach with minimal guidance”
In other legal directories, Panu has been referred to as follows:
- Clients describe Panu as "knowledgeable and dedicated", Intellectual property, Legal 500, 2018
- “He has a very broad knowledge about different areas of IP.”, Intellectual Property, Chambers Global 2018
- IP Star, (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017) – Finland, Managing Intellectual Property Handbook 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- "His contribution to important projects has been significant. He is easy to work with and gives timely, to-the-point advice.", IAM Patent1000: The world’s leading patent professionals 2017
- Ranked in Intellectual Property and TMT in the 2017 edition of Legal 500
- Panu Siitonen "has ‘a great sense of tactics for cases’", Intellectual Property, Legal 500, 2017
- Ranked in Intellectual Property, in the 2017 and 2018 editions of Chambers Global
- "According to clients, Panu Siitonen is 'able to use his intelligence to direct the client. He is a trusted person.' ", Chambers Global 2016 and Chambers Europe 2016
- "IP litigation head Panu Siitonen covers trade mark, copyright and patent disputes, with particular expertise in advising sports clients. Clients agree he is a 'very, very talented lawyer. He is hard-working and energetic.' ", Intellectual Property, Chambers Global 2015 and Chambers Europe 2015
- "Panu Siitonen is a partner in prestigious commercial outfit Hannes Snellman and leads its IP litigation team. He has a great track record in trademark, copyright and patent infringement actions, and deploys silky presentation skills to great effect when it comes to the negotiation of IP deals", WTR 1000: The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals 2015
- Panu Siitonen is nominated as one of the world's leading practitioners in the field of Information Technology by Who's Who Legal 2015 and 2016
- "...credited by sources for his IP expertise and commercial approach.", Intellectual Property, Chambers Global 2014
- Featured as one of the leading individuals in World Trademark Review 1000: The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals 2014. “Panu Siitonen is a diverse attorney with a sophisticated understanding of litigation proceedings. His tactical acumen attracts particular praise from in-house counsel, who appreciate his value-adding approach.”
- Ranked among the best lawyers in the 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 editions (Helsinki: Information Technology, Intellectual Property, Media and Technology) of Best Lawyers®
- ‘Panu Siitonen impresses clients with his committed and responsible approach.’, TMT, Chambers Europe 2013
- "Panu Siitonen is an expert in telecoms and technology IP litigation and licensing.”, Legal 500, 2013
- Highly recommended in TMT, Legal 500, 2013
- ‘Well known in the market, Panu Siitonen is active in the firm's IP litigation matters, as well as its non-contentious work, especially patent-related cases.’, Intellectual Property, Chambers Global 2013 and Chambers Europe 2013
- Featured as one of the leading individuals in Finland in IAM Patent 1000 2013: The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners
- "Panu Siitonen has played a leading role in numerous battles against infringing importers and is regularly behind the issue of seize and destroy orders. A seasoned IP disputes lawyer who has spearheaded a wealth of trademark and domain name cases, he also advises on trademark strategy and commercial agreements”, WTR 1000 The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals 2013
- ‘One client of Siitonen's, who has used the firm for five years, said: "They have a huge understanding of the different areas in intellectual property and rights. Also, they are really very active, which is hugely important to us, and they have a good network in Finland. We have good results in fights we have with them."’, Mananging Intellectual Property IP Handbook 2012
MEMBERSHIPS AND POSITIONS OF TRUST
- Member of the Finnish Bar Association, Member of the IPR Expert Group of the Finnish Bar Association 2013-2016, Chairman of the IPR Expert Group 2016-
- Member of the Finnish AIPPI Group, treasurer 2012- and Member of the Board 2013-
- Member of Finnish Association for Industrial Property Rights
- Member of the Finnish Anti-Counterfeiting Group, Member of the Board 2013-
- Member of the International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Member of the Finnish IT Law Association, Member of the Board 2009-2011
- Member of the International Technology Law Association (ITechLaw)
- Member of the Licensing Executives Society International (LESI)
- Member of the Finnish Sports Law Association
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND
- Partner, Hannes Snellman, 2011
- Senior Associate, Hannes Snellman, 2006
- Associate, Hannes Snellman, 2004
- Associate, Mäkitalo Rämö Virolainen Attorneys at Law, 2004
- Associate, Risto Kurki-Suonio Attorneys at Law, 2002 – 2004
- IPR Specialist, IPR University Center 2003
- Master of Laws, University of Helsinki, 2001