PRACTICE AND EXPERIENCE
Mikko Huimala has extensive experience in competition law matters. He advises Finnish and international companies on all aspects of competition law, including merger control, compliance, proceedings before the competition authorities and courts, and state aid.
Prior to joining private practice in 2006, Mikko gained several years of experience of investigating cartel and other competition law infringement cases in the national competition authority and the networks of competition authorities.
Mikko has a post-graduate diploma in competition law economics from King’s College London. He has co-authored an in-depth textbook on EU and Finnish competition law (2012) and published several articles on competition law. Mikko is the president of the Finnish Competition Law Association and a member of the Finnish Bar Association’s competition law expert group. He is ranked in Chambers Europe and Best Lawyers for his work in the field of EU and competition law.
- Counsel to several major companies in complex competition law matters including horizontal, vertical and dominance issues as well as merger control.
- * Counsel to several corporations in proceedings before the Finnish Competition and Consumer authority, both in alleged cartel and abuse of dominance issues.
- * Counsel to a major service provider in the energy sector in the merger control proceedings relating to an outsourcing arrangement with a major Northern European energy company.
- * Counsel to a major Danish corporation in the competition law aspects, including merger control, of its acquisition of a major publicly listed company domiciled in Finland.
- * Counsel to a UK-based airline in the merger control proceedings in establishing a joint venture in Finland.
- * Counsel to a global fast-moving consumer goods company in the merger control proceedings relating to its acquisition of a Finnish consumable goods company.
(*=references from prior to joining Hannes Snellman)
- Ranked in the 2018 edition of Best Lawyers (Competition Law)
- Ranked as notable practitioner in the 2017 edition of Chambers Europe (Competition/European Law)
POSITIONS OF TRUST
- Member of the Finnish Bar Association
- Chairman of the Finnish Competition Law Association (2016–to date), previously vice chairman (2014–2016), member of board for several years
- Member of the Competition Law Expert Working Group of the Finnish Bar Association (2016–to date)
- Member of the Finnish IT Law Association
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND
- Partner, Hannes Snellman, 2017
- Partner, Head of Competition & Regulatory, Finland, DLA Piper, 2016–2017
- Post-graduate Diploma in Economics for Competition Law, King’s College London, 2011
- Counsel/Senior Associate/Associate, Castrén & Snellman Attorneys Ltd, 2006–2016
- Senior Research Officer/Research Officer, Finnish Competition Authority, 2003–2006
- Master of Laws, University of Helsinki, 2002