PRACTICE AND EXPERIENCE
Mika specialises in commercial litigation especially in the field of construction and real estate related matters as well as insolvency issues.
Mika regularly advises our clients in matters relating to financial difficulties, restructurings, bankruptcies, as well as the recovery of assets. He has extensive experience in advising debtors and creditors in bankruptcy and restructuring proceedings and representing clients in insolvency-related disputes. In addition, he regularly assists the administrators in bankruptcy and restructuring proceedings.
Mika has advised and represented clients in a number of varying business disputes, including matters concerning construction and lease agreements, squeeze-outs, real estate transactions, delivery and supply agreements, and director liability. Mika has special expertise in indoor climate and related matters. In addition, Mika represents and advises clients in criminal proceedings.
Mika has acted as a secretary of the board of directors of the Finnish Insolvency Law Association since 2014.
Representing a main contractor in the settling of defect and liability issues related to microbe damages.
Representing a main contractor in the settling of a dispute concerning liability for delay and additional and alteration works.
Representing a lessee in the investigation of reasons and liability issues related to indoor climate problems of large business premises.
Representing a lessee in a dispute concerning restoration claims of large business premises.
Represented a main contractor in a dispute concerning indoor climate problems and microbe damages.
- Representing several landlords defeating Finnish Tax Authorities’ attempt to deny VAT deductions on the basis of tenant’s bankruptcy.
- Representing lessor creditors as a member of the Creditors' Committee in the largest ongoing bankruptcy proceedings in Finland.
- Representing two bankruptcy estates in large and complex environmental criminal proceedings.
- Representing a creditor (builder) in a construction-related dispute against the bankruptcy estate.
- Represented a major foreign creditor in cross-border liquidation proceedings related to 13 companies.
- Represented successfully a major creditor in a real estate transaction dispute against the bankruptcy estate.
- Represented a redeemer in arbitration proceedings concerning the squeeze-out of shares held by the minority shareholders in a listed Finnish limited liability company.
- Assisted in administering the restructuring proceedings of Moventas Santasalo Oy and Moventas Wind Oy.
- Assisted in administering the restructuring proceedings of Finndomo Oy.
- Assisted in administering the one of the largest Finnish bankruptcy proceedings in the 21th century concerning a bankruptcy estate with more than 10,000 creditors.
- Regularly advises and represents creditors and debtors in bankruptcy and restructuring proceedings and disputes related to insolvency.
- Represented a builder in criminal proceedings regarding suspected negligent homicide and work safety offence.
- Advised a major corporate group on issues regarding media-related offences.
- 'Clients are quick to single out his "very strong business acumen."', Restructuring/Insolvency, Chambers Europe 2019
MEMBERSHIPS AND POSITIONS OF TRUST
- Secretary of the Board of the Finnish Insolvency Law Association 2014-
- Member of the Finnish Insolvency Law Association
- Member of the Finnish Bar Association
- The Association of Finnish Lawyers
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND
- Counsel, Hannes Snellman, 2019
- Senior Associate, Hannes Snellman, 2014
- Associate Lawyer, Hannes Snellman, 2010
- Senior officer, Ministry of Transport and Communication, 2009 - 2010
- Master of Laws, University of Helsinki, 2009
- Trainee, Hannes Snellman, 2007 - 2008