PRACTICE AND EXPERIENCE
Matti Engelberg practises in the field of finance and debt capital markets. He has previously worked as the Head of Legal Services and the Chief Legal Counsel of Nordea Debt Capital Markets. He has over 30 years of experience in international banking and capital markets.
He has represented the Arrangers in over 200 syndicated loan transactions as well as a substantial quantity of other capital market transactions, especially various debt issuance programmes and structured finance arrangements including securitisation.
He has also worked on a number of M&A related finance, restructuring arrangements and property finance transactions, acquisitions and divestments. His past experience further includes equity and equity related instruments, various forms of capital loans and legal issues relating to swaps, options and other derivative transactions.
Matti received his Master of Laws degree from the University of Helsinki in 1985 and was trained on the bench in the Vantaa District Court in 1987. He had a secondment with Norton Rose in London during spring 1986. Matti joined Hannes Snellman as a specialist partner in the autumn 2003, he became a partner in 2005 and a Senior Advisor in 2016.
- Counsel to Ahlstrom Capital Oy on its financing arrangements, 2016.
- Counsel to Pankakoski Board Trading Oy on its refinancing, 2015.
- Counsel to Primula Oy on its acquisition of Perheleipurit Oy's bakery in Järvenpää and the rights to the Primula brand and products from Perheleipurit Oy, 2015.
Counsel to Leipomo Salonen on its acquisition of Perheleipurit Oy's bread business in Helsinki from Perheleipurit Oy, 2015.
Counsel to Ahlstrom Corporation on EUR 100,000,000 4.5% senior unsecured notes due, 2015.
Counsel to Valmet Corporation on its finance transactions, 2014-2015.
Counsel to LocalTapiola Mutual Life Insurance Company on an issue of EUR 100 million dated subordinated fixed rate callable capital notes, 2014.
- Stora Enso Oyj integrated plantation, board and pulp mill project in Guangxi, China. Equity financing of RMB 356 million and debt financing of $ 460 million inter alia by International Finance Corporation (IFC), a member of the World Bank Group. Counsel to International Finance Corporation (IFC).
Counsel to Rapala VMC Oyj in Bank Debt Facilities in total of € 156 million, 2014.
Counsel to Valmet Automotive Inc., on its refinancing, 2014.
- Counsel to Metso Corporation on its financing arrangement, 2013.
- Solidium Oy Syndicated Loan Facility, Counsel to Borrower, 2013.
- Counsel to International Finance Corporation on several international financing transactions, 2012-2013.
- Counsel to Valmet Automotive Oy on EUR 63 million Project Finance Facility, 2012.
- Counsel to the Finnish State Treasury on financial regulatory and documentation issues, 2012.
- Counsel to Rapala VMC Corporation on its EUR 150 million Bank Debt Facilities, 2012.
- Counsel to Ahlstrom Corporation on its EUR 250,000,000 multicurrency revolving credit facilit, 2011.
- Republic of Finland, Treasury Bill Programme update, Counsel to the Arrangers and Dealers, 2011.
- Counsel to Metso Corporation, EUR 500 million Revolving Multicurrency Facility.
- Solidium Oy EUR 300 million Revolving Facility, Counsel to Borrower.
- Outokumpu Oyj EUR 900 million Revolving Credit Facility, Finnish Counsel to the Mandated Lead Arrangers, 2009.
- Rautaruukki Oyj EUR 350 million Facility Agreement, Finnish Counsel to the Mandated Lead Arrangers, 2009.
- UPM-Kymmene Corporation EUR 825 million Revolving Credit Facility, Finnish Counsel to the Mandated Lead Arrangers, 2009.
- Componenta Corporation EUR 200 million Syndicated Facility, Counsel to Borrower.
- Matti is ranked as an Expert consultant in Banking and Capital markets in the 2019 edition of IFLR1000
- Matti Engelberg "is commended by clients for being 'commercially-minded and a true professional.'", Banking & Finance, Chambers Global 2017
- Matti Engelberg is "very good - always on time and very clear" and clients "appreciate his knowledge of the market." Banking & Finance, Chambers Global 2016 and Chambers Europe 2016
- Ranked as Expert in Banking and Finance, Who’s Who Legal 2016
- Matti Engelberg is recognised for his work on syndicated loans and considered to be a "knowledgeable and experienced" practitioner, Banking & Finance, Chambers Global 2015 and Chambers Europe 2015
- Ranked in Banking & Finance, Finland, Chambers Europe 2014, 2015 and Chambers Global 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Ranked among the best lawyers in the 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 editions (Helsinki: Banking & Finance) of Best Lawyers®
- "Matti Engelberg is recommended for his ‘good understanding of what works and what doesn’t in a changing market’", Legal 500, 2013
- ’The highly experienced Matti Engelberg is respected for his knowledge of banking and finance law, in addition to his work on restructuring matters.’, Banking & Finance, Chambers Global 2013 and Chambers Europe 2013
- Matti Engelberg is praised for his knowledge of prospectus regulations and has an excellent reputation for advising clients on the borrower side, Banking & Finance, Chambers Global 2012
- Engelberg continues to be one of the market’s key individuals for all types of lending and syndicated lending, IFLR1000, 2012
- ’Matti Engelberg is recognised for his...high visibility in deals.’, Chambers Europe 2012
- Matti Engelberg wins client applause for his extensive knowledge and experience, Chambers Global 2011
- Matti is ranked as an Expert consultant in Banking and Finance and Capital Markets in the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 editions of IFLR1000
- Endorsed in Banking and finance, Finland, PLC Which Lawyer? 2011
- Leading lawyer in Banking and finance in the Guide to European Legal Experts 2011, 2010 and 2009
- Ranked in Banking & Finance, Finland, Chambers Europe 2011 and Chambers Global 2011
MEMBERSHIPS AND POSITIONS OF TRUST
- Member in Panel of Experts, P.R.I.M.E. Finance
- International Bar Association
- Finnish Bar Association
- Hannes Snellman Representative with International Loan Market Association
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND
- Senior Advisor, Hannes Snellman, 2016
- Partner, Hannes Snellman, 2005
- Specialist Partner, Hannes Snellman, 2003
- Head of Legal Services, Debt Capital Markets, Nordea Bank Finland Plc, 2000 – 2003
- Vice President, Senior Counsel, Debt Capital Markets, Nordea Bank Finland Plc, 1995 – 2000
- Capital Markets/Legal Counsel, Assistant Vice President, Senior Counsel, Kansallis-Osake-Pankki, 1985 – 1995
- Trained on the Bench, Vantaa Local Court, 1987
- LLM, University of Helsinki, 1985