PRACTICE AND EXPERIENCE
Markus heads our firm's cross-practice team specialising in Sports, Media and Entertainment law.
Following his graduation in 2003, Markus has advised and represented clients in a number of varying assignments. By way of example, Markus has litigated and arbitrated disputes relating to M&A transactions, international trade, insurance contracts, lease agreements and employment contracts. He regularly represents Finnish and foreign corporations in both domestic and international ad hoc arbitrations, as well as in arbitrations administered by various institutional rules (i.a. FAI, ICC, SCAI, SIAC). In addition, Markus serves as a sole or party-nominated arbitrator in both ad hoc and administered arbitration proceedings. He is ranked in the Best Lawyers® list for Finland (Arbitration and Mediation, Litigation and Sports Law).
Markus has unparallelled experience in the field of sports law. He has advised foreign and Finnish top level sports clubs in cases relating to sponsorship, player, coach and stadium agreements. Furthermore, he has represented a leading stadium company and a major sports gear company in different sports-related disputes. Apart from being a versatile lecturer on sports law related topics, Markus has published several articles on the subject. In addition, he serves as a CAS arbitrator and has been a member of the FINADA Supervisory Group since 2009.
Represented a Finnish corporation against an Italian subcontractor in a litigation concerning breach of contract and defective goods.
Represented major Finnish insurance companies against a government organisation in a domestic arbitration concerning the interpretation of a shareholders’ agreement. The value of the dispute exceeded EUR 2 million.
Represented a Finnish corporation in squeeze out proceedings against the minority shareholders of another listed company. The redeemed shares were valued at EUR 3 million.
- Represented a Finnish listed company against a Latin American counterparty in a multi-million euro dispute over the termination of a distribution agreement and unlawful use of our client’s intellectual property rights. Apart from the main arbitral proceedings seated in Helsinki, the case involved convoluted injunction and criminal proceedings before Brazilian state courts.
- Represented a Finnish investment company against another one in an arbitration based on the Finnish Limited Liability Companies Act. The value of the dispute exceeded EUR 17 million.
- Advised a Finnish company against a major US corporation regarding US damages litigation. The value of the claims amounted to tens of millions of dollars.
- Advised a foreign public company in a complex, Russia-related international arbitration and numerous simultaneous court proceedings concerning, e.g. a breach of a shareholders' agreement and various company law related issues.
- Advised a Finnish public company in an international ad hoc arbitration concerning an alleged breach of an M&A agreement. All claims against our client - which exceeded EUR 10 million – were dismissed.
- Ranked among the best lawyers in the 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 editions (Helsinki: Arbitration and Mediation, Litigation and Sports Law) of Best Lawyers®
- “Unless Fairness Requires Otherwise”- A Review of Exceptions to Retroactive Disqualification of Competitive Results for Doping Offenses (CAS Bulletin, 2017)
- “Lex mitior”: reduction in the period of ineligibility under art. 25.3 of the World Anti-Doping Code (Global Sports Law and Taxation Reports, 2016)
- Re-analysis of a doping sample - delay not attributable to the athlete? (Global Sports Law and Taxation Reports, 2015)
- Key case law on attempts to circumvent FIFA’s Training Compensation System (LawInSport, 2014)
- Anti-Doping Code 2015 - Stricter Sanctions and Investigations (2014)
- The evolution of hGH cases: Veerpalu, Lallukka and Sinkewitz (Global Sports Law and Taxation Reports, 2014)
- Retroactive Disqualification of Competitive Results for Doping Offences (2013)
- Second Anti-Doping Rule Violation (2012)
- The Finnish Match Fixing Scandal (Global Sports Law and Taxation Reports, 2012)
- Refusal and Other Evasion of Doping Test (2011)
- FINADA Supervisory Board and its Decisions 2009-2010 (2010)
MEMBERSHIPS AND POSITIONS OF TRUST
- Chairman of the Disciplinary Committee of the Football Association of Finland
- Chairman of Finnish Antidoping Agency FINADA’s Supervisory Group
- Vice-chairman of the Disciplinary Board of the Finnish Bar Association
- Member of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), Lausanne, Switzerland
- Member of the IRONMAN Arbitration Panel
- Member of the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s (UFC) Arbitration Panel
- Member of the International Biathlon Union IBU’s Anti-Doping Hearing Panel
- Member of the International Biathlon Union IBU’s Court of Arbitration
- Member of the Finnish Bar Association
- Member of the Finnish Arbitration Association
- Member of the Finnish Sports Law Association
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND
- Licentiate in Laws, University of Helsinki, 2014
- Counsel, Hannes Snellman, 2012
- Senior Associate, Hannes Snellman, 2007
- Master of Economic Sciences, Helsinki School of Economics, 2005
- Trained on the Bench, District Court of Loviisa, 2005
- Associate Lawyer, Hannes Snellman, 2003
- Master of Laws, University of Helsinki, 2003