PRACTICE AND EXPERIENCE
Klaus advises domestic and international clients on assignments related to environmental law. He is regularly involved in a wide range of energy and natural resources projects. Wind power development is a particular focal area of his expertise and he has in-depth regulatory know-how and practical experience in this field. Klaus has also had an active role in numerous infrastructure related projects ranging from waterways to harbours and road networks. Klaus is a member of Hannes Snellman’s cross-border Infrastructure & Energy team, which is a multi-disciplinary group of experienced lawyers whose expertise cuts across capital markets, construction, environment, litigation, PPP, project finance, restructuring and tax, and which has an outstanding track-record.
Finnish counsel to Elementis plc in its proposed acquisition of Mondo Minerals B.V.
Counsel to Metsähallitus in its divestment of two pre-construction stage wind power projects with an aggregate output of approximately 300 megawatts, respectively, to Enefit Green, and to a JV of Ilmatar Windpower Oyj and Omnes Capital managed Capenergie 3.
- Counsel to Green Horizon Renewables in the acquisition of over 70% stake in Winda Power.
- Counsel to SUSI Partners AG in its acquisition of the Tetrituuli Wind Farm in Finland from Ilmatar Windpower Plc.
- Counsel to Hartwall Capital Oy Ab in its acquisition of SUEZ Suomi Oy.
- Counsel to Eurus Energy Holdings Corporation in its acquisition of two wind farms in Finland from Maas Capital Renewables and YARD ENERGY.
- Counsel to Metsähallitus in its divestment of wind farm project to Taaleri Plc private equity fund and Loiste Energia Oy.
- Counsel to Veolia in a JV with Neste and Borealis to build a new combined heat and power plant and produce and supply steam and other utilities to Neste's refinery and Borealis' petrochemical plant in Porvoo, Finland.
- Counsel to Metsähallitus in its divestment of two pre-construction stage wind power projects (envisaged to comprise a total of 64 wind power plants with an aggregate output of approximately 166 megawatts) to a JV owned by Taaleritehtaan Tuulitehdas II Ky and Loiste Energia Oy.
- Counsel to the Finnish Transport Authority in a dispute concerning environmental remediation requirements of a lake located in Southern Finland.
- Counsel to a Finnish hydropower plant owner in a dispute concerning the proposed amendments to the existing water permit and compensation related thereto.
- Counsel to a foreign mining company in assessing environmental obligations and liabilities resulting from possible shut-down of a mine in Finland.
- Counsel to a large Finnish energy production company in its dispute concerning the acceptable emission levels to the water course and environmental damages related thereto.
- Counsel to a Finnish City in an administrative proceedings in relation to remediation liability of an landfill.
- Counsel to TuuliWatti Oy in permitting of several wind farms in Finland.
- Counsel to TuuliSaimaa Oy in a zoning dispute against the Finnish Military Forces regarding the construction of a wind farm in Eastern Finland.
- Counsel to Finnish Wind Power Association in a regulatory assignment concerning the noise emissions caused by wind turbines.
Counsel to Mondi Group in its acquisition of Walki Group's extrusion coating plants located in Pietarsaari, Finland and Wroclaw, Poland.
- Ranked as a recognised practitioner in energy & Natural Resources in the 2018 edition of Chambers Europe
- Ranked among the best lawyers in the 2015, 2016 and 2017 editions (Helsinki: Environmental Law) of Best Lawyers®
- Leading practitioner, Who’s Who Legal: Environment (2014, 2015 and 2016).
MEMBERSHIPS AND POSITIONS OF TRUST
- Regional Representative Europe of IBA’s Environment, Health and Safety Law (EHS) Committee
- Member of the Finnish Bar Association
- Member of the Finnish Society for Environmental Law
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND
- Hannes Snellman 2013-
- Borenius Attorneys at Law 2010-2013
- Ministry of the Environment 2009-2010
- State Environmental Administration 2004-2009
- University of Helsinki, Faculty of law 1999-2004
- Licentiate in Laws, University of Helsinki 2003
- Master of Laws, University of Helsinki 1999