PRACTICE AND EXPERIENCE
Johanna heads our firm’s Employment law practice in Helsinki. She advises domestic and international clients in a broad scope of matters related to employment law, such as general counselling for employers in the Finnish market, drafting of management contracts and terminations thereof, co-operation proceedings as well as employment issues in connection with mergers and acquisitions and restructurings. Johanna is actively involved in transactional work, advising clients on personnel-related issues in transactions, including drafting documentation and harmonising employment-related benefits, pensions, personnel policies, and incentive programmes. Johanna has an extensive experience in transactions related to outsourcing of business units or certain services and corporate restructuring.
- Counsel to Vaaka Partners in its acquisition of majority of shares in Jungle Juice Bar, 2017.
- Counsel to Lemminkäinen Corporation in the combination of Lemminkäinen Corporation and YIT Corporation through a statutory merger, 2017.
- Counsel to Trust Kapital in its acquisition of Enfo Zender, Enfo Oyj’s information logistics subsidiary, 2017.
- Counsel to Terveystalo in its acquisition of Diacor Terveyspalvelut Oy from Helsinki Deaconess Institute Foundation sr, LocalTapiola General Mutual Insurance Company and LocalTapiola Mutual Life Insurance Company, 2017.
- Counsel to Terveystalo in its acquisition of Porin Lääkäritalo from a number of private individuals, 2017.
- Counsel to Ahlstrom in the combination of Ahlstrom and Munksjö through a merger, 2016.
- Counsel to Hartwall Capital Oy Ab in its acquisition of SUEZ Suomi Oy, 2016.
- Counsel to Humana AB in the acquisition of Arjessa Oy from Sentica Partners and a number of private individuals, 2016.
- Counsel to a Finnish subsidiary of a Norwegian listed company in relation to the planning and handling of the co-operation proceedings related to the planned closure and restructuring of the production plant, as well as the terminations of employment following the co-operation proceedings, incentive arrangements applied during the negotiation procedures, redundancies, and other issues related to the closure of the plant, 2016.
- Counsel to EQT Mid Market Fund on the acquisition of the leading Finnish private daycare provider Touhula Varhaiskasvatus Oy, 2016.
- Counsel to Patria and its shareholder in the sale of 49.9% of the shares in Patria Oyj to Kongsberg Defence & Aerospace AS, 2016.
- Counsel to Veolia in a JV with Neste and Borealis to build a new combined heat and power plant and produce and supply steam and other utilities to Neste's refinery and Borealis' petrochemical plant in Porvoo, Finland, 2016.
- Counsel to Mondi Group in its acquisition of Walki Group's extrusion coating plants located in Pietarsaari, Finland and Wroclaw, Poland, 2015.
Counsel to Vossloh Nordic Switch Systems AB in Vossloh Nordic Switch Systems AB's and VR Track Oy's turn-out and installation of service businesses in Finland into a joint venture structure, 2015.
Counsel to Vossloh Rail Services International GmbH in the establishment of a joint venture structure for rail welding business operations in Finland, 2015.
Counsel to Finnish company in relation to several steps of co-operation proceedings, incentive arrangements applied during the negotiation procedures, redundancies, and other issues related to the closure of a paper plant, 2015.
Counsel to Alder Fund I AB in its acquisition of the business of Gasmet Technologies Oy, 2015.
Counsel to Valmet Oyj in its EUR 340 million acquisition of the process automation systems business from Metso Oyj, 2015.
Counsel to APG Asset Management N.V. in its acquisition of shares in SATO Oyj, 2014.
Counsel to Ratos in its EUR 97 (enterprise value) million acquisition of approximately 67 % of Ledil from the company founders, 2014.
Counsel to Powerflute Oyj in the acquisition of Corenso from Stora Enso Oyj, 2014.
- Counsel to Ahlström Capital in Destia acquisition, 2014.
- Counsel to Advent International, ATP and Bain Capital in Nets Acquisition, 2014.
- Counsel to GE Capital on employment law aspects of the sale of a significant pan-European business involving 20 European jurisdictions, China, Bermuda and the United States. The sale was preceded by a very complex pre-closing reorganisation. Values not disclosed, 2013.
- Counsel to SoftBank Corp. and GungHo Online Entertainment, Inc., Japanese corporations, in their USD 1.53 billion acquisition of a 51% stake in Supercell Oy, a Finnish online gaming company, 2013.
- Counsel to EQT in the acquisition of Terveystalo, 2013.
- Counsel to Microsoft in the acquisition of Nokia’s Devices and Services Business, 2013.
- Counsel to Triton in the acquisition of Lähikauppa from IK Investment Partners, Wihuri and Tradeka, 2012.
- Counsel to UPM-Kymmene Corporation in the outsourcing of the IT infrastructure services of UPM-Kymmene to HCL Technologies Limited (including also the transfer of employees in fourteen jurisdictions), 2012.
- Counsel to 3i, Goldman Sachs and Ilmarinen in the acquisition of Vattenfall’s Finnish electricity distribution and district heat businesses by a consortium including 3i, Goldman Sachs and Ilmarinen, 2012.
- Counsel to Finnair Plc in the entering into a partnership agreement between Finnair and LSG concerning Finnair Catering Oy (including option to acquire shares), 2012.
- Counsel to Sanoma Corporation in the acquisition by Sanoma of Tammi Learning in Finland and Bonnier Utbildning AB in Sweden from Bonnier and divestment by Sanoma of Werner Söderström Osakeyhtiö (general literature) to Bonnier, 2011.
- Counsel to Moventas Santasalo Oy and Moventas Wind Oy in the corporate restructuring for Moventas Santasalo Oy and Moventas Wind Oy, 2011)
- Counsel to Renesas Electronics Corporation, a Japanese listed company, in its acquisition of Nokia Corporation’s wireless modem business for approximately USD 220 million, 2010.
- Ranked as recommended lawyer in Employment in the 2017 edition of Legal 500
- Ranked as notable practitioner in Employment, Chambers Europe 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017
- 'Clients commend her for her "high level of client services and technical knowledge." ', Employment, Chambers Europe 2017
- 'A client says: "She's easy to work with. She bears the corporate interest in mind when she advises." ', Employment, Chambers Europe 2016
- 'Johanna Haltia-Tapio "is very business-minded and provides practical solutions. She is responsive and gives fast, accurate advice." ', Employment, Chambers Europe 2015
- Ranked among the best lawyers in the 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 editions (Helsinki: Labor and Employment) of Best Lawyers®
- Ranked as key individual in Employment, Chambers Europe 2013
- 'Clients value her ability to "give down-to-earth, helpful advice at very short notice."', Chambers Europe 2012
- ’Johanna Haltia-Tapio earns plaudits for her proactive and straightforward manner. “She is excellent at explaining legal matters well to non-legal people; she provides clear advice.”...’, Chambers Europe 2011
- Employer’s Obligation to Offer Work Extended to Fixed-Term Employees by the Supreme Court – When Is the Obligation Triggered?, Hannes Snellman Blog, 2017
- Employees Without Borders – Foreign Employees in Finland and Finnish Employees Abroad, Hannes Snellman Blog, 2017
- New Family Leave Allowance and Reduced Holiday Accrual During Family Leave Supports Competitiveness in Female Dominated Sectors, Hannes Snellman Blog, 2017
MEMBERSHIPS AND POSITIONS OF TRUST
- Member of the European Employment Lawyers Association (EELA)
- Member of the Finnish Bar Association
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND
- Senior Counsel, Hannes Snellman, 2011
- Senior Associate, Hannes Snellman, 2007
- Associate Lawyer, Hannes Snellman, 2005
- Associate Lawyer, Roschier Holmberg Attorneys Ltd, 1999
- Master of Laws, University of Helsinki, 1999