PRACTICE AND EXPERIENCE
Antti has over 15 years’ experience of litigating and arbitrating high-stakes commercial disputes. He is especially recognized for his excellent courtroom skills.
Antti is particularly focused on two areas. He heads our construction and engineering disputes team, having represented clients in the largest and most demanding litigations and arbitrations in the field. Antti has also tried several landmark competition litigation and follow-on private enforcement cases.
In addition, he continuously acts as counsel to companies and directors in corporate criminal and related liability cases as well as internal investigations.
Antti also sits as arbitrator in domestic and international proceedings.
“According to interviewees, Antti Järvinen is ‘one of the best litigators in the country’.” (Chambers Global 2016)
- Represented UPM-Kymmene Oyj in the largest ever Finnish follow-on damages litigation in which Metsähallitus originally claimed a capital amount of nearly 282 million euros in damages jointly and severally from Finnish forestry companies Stora Enso, UPM and Metsäliitto.
- Represented a Finnish listed company as the end user of a large and highly complex industrial plant against a Finnish listed contractor in an ad hoc construction arbitration under the Finnish Arbitration Act. This was one of the largest construction arbitrations in Finland to date, with a value exceeding EUR 120 million. The case involved precedential legal questions on the application of the Finnish General Conditions for Building Contracts (YSE 1998), such as the contractor’s liability for damages when the delay in the completion of works exceeds the contractual penalty period and causes financial losses far in excess of the maximum amount of the agreed liquidated damages. Some 50 fact and expert witnesses were heard in the proceedings.
- Represented a Finnish listed company as an end user of a large building project against a major building developer in a multi-million euro construction and engineering arbitration under the Arbitration Rules of the Finland Chamber of Commerce. The dispute concerned the building costs, alleged faults in plan management and instructions, additional and modification works as well as project management liabilities.
- Represented two Finnish companies as the developer and the building owner in a construction dispute against a Finnish listed contractor. The dispute concerned an enlargement of a major shopping centre. The contractor presented various claims against our clients exceeding EUR 5 million on the basis of e.g. alleged plan modifications, alteration works and time extension. Following extensive negotiations the dispute was resolved amicably in favour of our clients.
- Represented a Finnish listed company against a Finnish real estate company in an arbitration under the Arbitration Rules of the Finland Chamber of Commerce. The dispute concerned a major shopping centre project and the adjustment of particular contractual provisions based on the building costs of the project. Following our successful defence, the claimant's claims against our client (exceeding EUR 10 million) were dismissed in their entirety.
- Represented a Finnish listed company against a state-owned company in a landmark damages litigation regarding the compensation of direct and indirect losses under the Finnish Sale of Goods Act. The case resulted in a precedent issued by the Supreme Court of Finland.
- Represented a Finnish listed company against the European Commission in the first-ever state aid litigation involving Finnish parties. The dispute concerned whether the State of Finland violated the EC Treaty by granting unlawful state aid to our client. The Court of First Instance of the European Communities (“CFI”) ruled in favour of our client and annulled the Commission’s decision on alleged state aid. The Commission decided not to appeal against the CFI’s judgement.
- Represented a Finnish company against a government organisation as the contracting authority in a landmark litigation concerning liability for damages due to a breach of public procurement rules in a competitive bidding for the production of aviation services. The dispute was successfully tried in five different court instances.
- Represented three former board members and the Chairman of a Finnish listed company as defendants in criminal proceedings concerning a suspected securities markets information offence. Following our successful defence in the District Court all charges against our clients were dismissed. The Court of Appeal upheld the decision regarding the three board members. Thus far this is one of the few cases concerning board members' criminal liability in securities markets information matters. The decision is final.
- Represented a Finnish listed company in cartel investigations conducted by the Finnish Competition Authority (FCA). Following proceedings which lasted more than four years – encompassing numerous requests for information, interviews and a statement of objections – the FCA closed the case without making any penalty payment proposal to the Market Court.
- Represented a Lithuanian real estate developer in an arbitration against a Lithuanian contractor regarding the construction contract of a major shopping centre.
- Represented a German real estate investment company in a pending arbitration governed by the Arbitration Rules of the Finland Chamber of Commerce. The dispute concerns, inter alia, the application of a put option under a share sale and purchase agreement of shares of a Finnish real estate company. The value of the dispute is approximately EUR 20 million.
- Continuously advises developers, contractors, construction managers and other construction consultants in drafting of contracts as well as preparing of claims and settling of disputes in various construction projects.
- Antti is ranked as one of the Most in Demand Arbitrators, Dispute Resolution, Finland, in the 2019 edition of Chambers Global
- "Commentators describe Antti as 'very talented.'" Dispute Resolution, Chambers Global 2019
- Antti is ranked as "Dispute Resolution Star" in Commercial and Transactions, International Arbitration in the 2018 edition of Benchmark Litigation
- Antti is listed among the Thought Leaders in Litigation, Who’s Who Legal 2019
- "Pre-eminent litigator Antti Järvinen is hailed by clients for his "very good knowledge and experience of key judicial points and business practices."", Dispute Resolution, Chambers Global 2018 and Chambers Europe 2018
- Antti is listed among the World’s leading Arbitration lawyers (Finland), Who’s Who Legal: Arbitration 2018
- "He is described by clients as 'very prudent and very good in court.'", Dispute Resolution, Chambers Global 2017 and Chambers Europe 2017
- Leading individual, Dispute Resolution, Legal 500, 2016, 2017 and 2018
- Antti is "one of the best litigators in the country." Dispute Resolution, Chambers Global 2016 and Chambers Europe 2016
- Ranked among the best lawyers in the 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 editions (Helsinki: Arbitration and Mediation and Litigation) of Best Lawyers®
- Antti is listed among the leading practitioners in Arbitration and Litigation, Who’s Who Legal 2016
- Ranked in Band 1, Dispute Resolution, Chambers Global 2015 and Chambers Europe 2015: " 'A very capable and effective lawyer,' Antti Järvinen climbs the rankings on the back of excellent feedback. Sources admire his hard-working nature and consider him 'a dynamic and analytical type of litigator with lots of experience,' and 'an excellent choice for public court proceedings' "
- Antti is listed as a leading individual (Dispute Resolution, Finland) in Legal 500, 2014 and 2015
- Antti is listed among the leading practitioners in the International Who’s Who of Commercial Litigators, 2014
- "The ’very talented and skilful’ Antti Järvinen has acted on an extensive range of disputes lately, representing clients in sectors such as engineering, construction and project management.", Dispute Resolution, Chambers Global 2014
- Ranked among the leading lawyers in Construction and Real Estate in the Expert Guides 2014
- "The reputation of Antti Järvinen is rapidly increasing in this field. He heads the firm's construction disputes team.", Dispute Resolution, Chambers Global 2013 and Chambers Europe 2013
- "...Antti Järvinen ‘keeps the momentum despite turning every stone.", Legal 500, 2012
- "Antti Järvinen is seen as ‘an extremely talented younger lawyer.’", Dispute Resolution, Chambers Global 2012
- “New partner Antti Järvinen is praised for his courtroom skills, and has taken a lead role in many of the firm’s standout cases of late.”, Chamber Europe 2011
- “Antti Järvinen, a specialist in construction and engineering disputes, “is a very skilled lawyer and very pleasant to work with,” report peers. Järvinen is frequently involved in international matters and is a member of the Swedish Arbitration Association and the LCIA.”, Chambers Global 2011
- "Antti Järvinen has been involved in many of the past year’s largest mandates. 'He is very much an up-and-coming individual – a skilled, young lawyer,' sources agree.”, Chambers Global and Chambers Europe 2010
MEMBERSHIPS AND POSITIONS OF TRUST
- Member of the Board of the Finland Arbitration Institute
- Member of the Arbitration and Litigation Committees of the International Bar Association
- Member of the Finnish Bar Association
- Member of the Finnish Arbitration Association
- Member of the Finnish Association for Competition Law
- Member of the Swedish Arbitration Association
- Member of the London Court of International Arbitration
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND
- Partner, Hannes Snellman, 2010
- Senior Associate, Hannes Snellman, 2006
- Associate Lawyer, Hannes Snellman, 2002
- Master of Laws, University of Helsinki, 2002